Help for Shields and Subquests

More
20 years 6 months ago #17845 by colt
Can someone please tell me, where or how to get better shields? Cause I always get busted in that gunstar mission in act 1. And also for other missions it would be very useful. Or does anyone know, where I can get some sub quests, cause I just can't find any. Do I have to go to a Station or what? I hope somebody can tell me. Thanks

Colt:D[:o)][8D][}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 6 months ago #7506 by andrewas
Gunstars - fly the comsec. Its faster than the tug, and its smaller as well, harder to hit. Undock the instant the gunstars turn off, maneuver to point at the next one before you get cockpit view back (This takes practice, but turning around 120 degrees in the right direction is sufficient), fly there and engage the docking autopilot. With a little luck, you wont get scratched. If you do, let the autorepair finish its job before you move on.

Someone will trade you some new shields shortly, I cant remember what for, but it wont be too bad. The trouble is the improvement over what you have now is not that impressive. If something can kill you now, its not likely that having better shields would have helped.

More subquests will come along as you go. The pirating subquests are a waste of time, you dont get anything much out of them. The storyline quests in act 1 are pretty linear, just work through them as they come.

More
20 years 6 months ago #7507 by Tarcoon
Hi Colt, welcome to the board.

Following the plot you will be offered some better shields.
You can "buy" them via trading screen.
The tug takes two of them - I guess you have meteor shields - and you have to manage them for a while.
They are pretty good (in act 1) - maybe your flightstyle is the problem. Try to avoid being hit in "other missions" and care for your six, it's unshielded. Don't loose orientation, check the globe and start dogfighting one or two bandits - enough for the beginning.

Sorry I don't know "sub quests" - what is it?

Gunstar mission:
The gunstars change their status from online to offline and back.
You are docked to the station. Highlight the nearest gunstar, wait untill it goes offline, undock and F6 it untill you can see it. Now override the autopilot (F5 and W) but don't run too fast. Coming closer start docking procedere (F8) and dock to the gunstar. Maybe two or three shots will hit you, but your autorepair regenerates your tug. Smith finishes his job and tells you to go on...
Repeat untill all gunstars are done. Timing is important.

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 6 months ago #7508 by Shane
Better shields are offered as trades or rewards for completing a mission, so there's really no way to get them until you get past the Gunstar mission. Submissions are random, and there's nothing you can really do to make them appear.

The Trouble With Gunstars is a hard mission. Make sure your game is patched to version 14.6... the patch changes the activation pattern of the gunstars, and makes it easier.

If it's any consolation, this mission teaches the player to dock quickly (instead of just hitting F8 and waiting). You have to swoop in over the top of the gunstar at just the right speed, reverse thrust to slow your speed, and only hit the autodock key at the last moment. This talent is very helpful on certain missions later on in the game.

When you do finish with the gunstars, the mission says you have to go to Hoffer's Gap. I'll warn you now... there's a big battle brewing, and if you die or fail the mission at Hoffer's Gap you'll have to do the Gunstars all over again.

However, if you leave the Gunstar area and go directly back to your base you can save your game. You'll have an email which says you forgot the arming keys and would you drop them off at Hoffer's Gap(which brings you back to Hoffer's Gap for the second part of the mission). You will not be penalized in any way for stopping at your base to save your game, so it's a wise thing to do.

There's nothing quite like finally beating the damn gunstars and then failing the mission at Hoffer's Gap and having to redo the entire thing. [xx(]

Good luck, Colt. :)

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 6 months ago #7509 by Tarcoon
Hi guys - one after the other:D

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 6 months ago #7512 by Shane
What can we say?

We're a helpful forum. :D:D

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions