CHEATS DON'T WORK

More
20 years 11 months ago #5727 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic CHEATS DON'T WORK
I had to have some t-fighter help on the Courage and Cunning... sad to say. Stupid mines!!! Stupid, stupid mines!!! :D:D

I did get the Wisdom on my own. It took pausing the game, drawing it out on paper and then sitting at the kitchen table for about 30 minutes... but I got it. If the Oman had known that, they probably wouldn't have let me join. :D

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 11 months ago #5730 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic CHEATS DON'T WORK
I used t-fighters for distraction purposes in cunning but I did courage without them. I picked off as many mines as possible from outside their range, then went in.

More
20 years 11 months ago #5738 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic CHEATS DON'T WORK
But these are what I class as "creative solutions" within the context of the gameplay. Cheating is something else. It involves altering or suspending all the things the game developers include that are there to make the game fun, immersive and/or challenging. I've used the walkthrough, on occasion, like for the Wisdom trial, but mostly because I'd spent some time already, and am just a little too impatient or stupid. Otherwise, I WANT the game to be hard, so I leave it like it is, or install mods like elite, or the sensor tweaks, that make it even harder. Why play if your only objective is to "beat" the game in record time, whip through it to get the story, or just to feel omnipotent for a few minutes.

I AM elderly (relatively speaking), so much so that I don't even know what a toaster kid is, but I still don't get the point of THAT kind of cheating.

*wanders off in true old fart fashion, shaking head and muttering to self "kids these days...just no damn good."*

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 11 months ago #5740 by phaelos
Replied by phaelos on topic CHEATS DON'T WORK
if you can beat a mission without doing something outside of the game (loading mods, or alt-x-ing stuff) then it isn't cheating. On courage, i simply bypassed the waypoint, blew all the mines, flew back to wpt, got pod, flew back again. On Wisdom, I drew it out: since there has to be only one solution, then it was trial and error for five minutes. Another example: on the "steal fighters" mission in early game, I simply used the Probe, docked to the fighters and towed them to the REM range limit. Not the solution you're supposed to do, but it worked.

-Anyone who's not confused here generally doesn't know whats goin on.

-Anyone who's not confused here generally doesn't know whats goin on.

More
20 years 11 months ago #5750 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic CHEATS DON'T WORK
If you're using stuff within the game without using codes or mods or anything like that, it's not a cheat. If it's completely not what the developers were considering, and it's a little bit cheap, then it's an exploit. Exploits are very similar to cheats but different. Cheating isn't something you should need to resort to, if you exploit once or twice in a game, nobody's going to care.

More
20 years 11 months ago #5768 by toastrack
Replied by toastrack on topic CHEATS DON'T WORK
I totally agree with the cheating thing being pointless, yes I too have sought help in forums and elsewhere for games, and I too tinker with the game itself, generally after playing it for a while, just because it can be done and is interesting to see what can be done.
-the goats, weasels, cows being a good example, (I'm a starship pilot not a genius)
I did load up some mod ships to see what they did, but ended up being far too powerfull for the game to be any fun......so I've gone back and started with what was intended.....'cos my game crashed when I removed the mods....so I guess you cant just chop and change mod ships and stuff in the middle of a campaign.

By the way though......how DO you use T-fighters etc for the Courage and cunning missions?....I thought you had to do them with the REM controlled ship supplied by the Oman dude?.....and yup....standing off a way and shooting all the mines with the REM ship pbc was what I did for Courage.....not much of a show of courage I know...but it made sense to me.....as for cunning...well that was more of a thrust over-ride slalom really.
BUT....if its just a matter of working round a problem with stuff already available in game....then thats NOT cheating.

Just about got back to where my PC was before it crumbled on me...so I might have some stupid mission help related questions myself soon.....ought to shut up and quietly walk away at this point I reckon.

...that's torn it.

...that's torn it.