Most difficult game in the world - ever

More
18 years 6 months ago #18616 by flend
Hello all.

I've just returned to Iwar2 after an absense of a year brought on by the fact that I found the game insanely difficult. After returning I find the game to be insanely difficult :)

What other game puts you in a fairly rubbish ship (Tug) and expects you to take on 3 vastly superior ships simultaneously (Corvettes)?

Anyway, I've been stuck on the Mauraders Cache mission basically for ever. My main problem seems to be missiles. The enemies just have too many of them. I try to dodge with lateral thrusters which works a bit, I try to fire manual countermeasures (with the mod - although I can never tell if this actually does anything - can you see the flares?). But it's just not enough. Without fail I always die when trying to take the cache (the latter part of the mission).

I appreciate I might just be a rubbish pilot :) but can anyone give me any tips? :) Is there a save-anywhere mod? That might save me some heartache?

Cheers,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #14033 by GrandpaTrout
Launch your turret fighters at them before you get in missile range. The missiles have a really hard time hitting the turret fighters. While they are fighting, fire a bunch of missiles at the marauder. But you have to pattern your missiles carefully. Fire one, wait a second for it to launch countermeasures, then fire two in quick order.

Your right. Super hard game.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14035 by flend
Thanks for the advice :) I am now cheerfully stuck trying to destroy a station but maybe I'll figure that one out eventually with the help on this site. A question on the manual countermeasures mod - does this actually work? I've activated the mod on the Extras screen but PGDOWN or whatever PreviousPlayerShip is defined to doesn't seem to do anything. I don't see any message in the HUD or see any counter measure being launched. Am I doing something wrong? Other mods (like the crosshair) seem to work okay.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14036 by GrandpaTrout
use the F3 key to move the view to outside of your ship. Zoom out. Then try the counter measures. You should see them launch. If not, reread the mod instructions, especially the keybind piece.

The trick to counter measures is that they only work on missiles that have been launched *before* the counter measure. So you want to wait until the last second to launch one - so you can spoof as many missiles as possible. In the Tug, you really have very little chance against the missiles. The trick is to avoid fighting until you get the patcom. The tug is useful when attacking from suprise. Or when making intertial passes screaming past the target and then fleeing away. Good Luck!

More
18 years 5 months ago #14038 by flend
Thanks for your reply. It was my fault - I hadn't installed the multimod thing first. Am making rather better progress now but shouldn't really have spent the entirety of today playing I-war2 when I was meant to be working :) Still having trouble with missiles but 2 t-fighters with gatling cannons make short work of most things!

Tom

More
18 years 5 months ago #14076 by Mklangelo

Originally posted by GrandpaTrout

Launch your turret fighters at them before you get in missile range. The missiles have a really hard time hitting the turret fighters. While they are fighting, fire a bunch of missiles at the marauder. But you have to pattern your missiles carefully. Fire one, wait a second for it to launch countermeasures, then fire two in quick order.

Your right. Super hard game.

There are three Corvettes and the Transport at this Beacon site. So undock the T-fighters, send them after the Corvettes and fire missles at the Marauder? Who is the Marauder? Aren't they all Marauders?

If everyone is special, then nobody is special...

Dammit Cal...