Rock n Roll

More
18 years 7 months ago #18566 by IWBadger
Rock n Roll was created by IWBadger
Hi All

Appologies if this is a silly question, but while "search" brought up something on the subject.. it wasn't what I needed.

I'm revisiting EoC after a break of a few years and have just updated to the latest version. When I last played I had an all singing all dancing joystick and among the tricks it had up its sleeve was a twist grip handle which in EoC controlled the ships "roll".

Now I have a basic "SideWinder" joystick which doesn't have this function so I need to resort to whatever the keyboard option is for rolling the ship.

Now I might be going blind in my old age... but I don't see which key to use!

It seems to be "1" or "3" on the numeric keypad if you are playing with the keyboard only option. But I don't want to do that, I want to use the joystick.

I'm sure I must be missing the obvious because of course the programmers would not have left non twist grip owners with no roll function.

Can anyone clue me in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13763 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Rock n Roll
Look in the config directory and open the default.ini file. In there you will find a reference to:

[icPlayerPilot.Roll]
Joystick1, JoyRZAxis

This is the value that gives joysticks with twist grips the roll ability. You can assign another Joystick value which fits your joystick. However, unless you have spare joystick buttons, it will be at the expense of some other joystick function.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13770 by IWBadger
Replied by IWBadger on topic Rock n Roll
Thank's SoupDragon :)

I'm a bit tech challenged though and so not wanting to drop a "Clanger" I think I'd better quiz you a little further.

I found the file and text line easily enough, but was at a loss as to what to type there instead. It looked as though it would start with something like "Joystick1" but how do you then describe whichever button on the stick you'd prefer? Also because the roll is set to an "axis" I guess it's clever enough to know that the axis goes two ways. But if I'm assigning to two buttons, how do I tell it this for roll left and that for roll right?

I'm keen to use the stick for steering and throttle, but would be happy assigning the roll to the keyboard if that's easier, can I do it that way instead? Althogu the left/ right issue still applies as well as what to actually type.

Thank's for the quick reply and in advance for picking your brains again here.

Badger

More
18 years 7 months ago #13771 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Rock n Roll
Try something like the following (make sure you backup your original default.ini file):

[icPlayerPilot.Roll]
Joystick1, Joybutton1
Joystick1, Joybutton2, inverse

Replace the numbers 1 and 2 with what spare buttons you have, bearing in mind that they are not already being used.

or for keyboard:

[icPlayerPilot.Roll]
Keyboard, 8, SHIFT
Keyboard, 9, SHIFT, inverse

More
18 years 7 months ago #13772 by IWBadger
Replied by IWBadger on topic Rock n Roll
Great stuff SD :) That worked a treat and my old Sidewinder now has a roll function.

All the best
Badger