Just Finished the Game

More
20 years 2 months ago #8957 by Stephen Robertson PS
From what I understand it's like this.

Infogrames and Particle Systems jointly owned copyright to the I-War series.

Particle Systems was bought by Argonaut, the staff transferred to employment at Argonaut then Particle Systems as a company was shut down. I'm not sure but I think the shutting down meant the company was 'wound up' or made bankrupt. That means that any creditors to the company get a share of the company's remaining assets - which in this case would include the rights to the I-War series. So no doubt Infogrames / Atari has a large part of those rights, but some of them may be with other creditors, I just don't know. It may be that Argonaut hold some of the rights too, but I don't really know.

The first place to check would be Infogrames/Atari. If you do contact them you could point out that all the other space sims of that era, including Freespace and Allegiance have had their source code released, and see where it goes from there.

Personally I can't authorise the release of any source, nor I imagine can my bosses, as it isn't officially ours to release any more. [:(]

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8958 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Just Finished the Game
Thanks Stephen,

It's likely a long shot, but I figure it's worth a letter or two. I'll see what I can do, and report and progress if/when any happens here somewhere.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #8965 by UglyAngel
Replied by UglyAngel on topic Just Finished the Game
Your bosses? Who are they? Argonaut? Or has Particle Systems been re-formed or reincorporated or resurrected or whatever it is I'm trying to say?

More
20 years 2 months ago #8973 by Stephen Robertson PS
The same people who ran Particle Systems now run Argonaut Sheffield. Our parent company is Argonaut Games. Particle systems doesn't exist any more.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

More
20 years 2 months ago #8987 by troj
Replied by troj on topic Just Finished the Game
I'm glad you've still got a job Stephen :) It's a shame though, Particle Systems is a far superior name to Argonaut Sheffield :)

More
20 years 2 months ago #9003 by UglyAngel
Replied by UglyAngel on topic Just Finished the Game
Hey, as long as they got the band back together ...

Although "Argonaut-Sheffield" sounds more like a manufacturer of machine parts for the petroleum industry than a software development lab ... (no offense)