file IronDuke's Space Game

More
8 years 5 months ago #19930 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic IronDuke's Space Game

Chessking wrote: Awesome!

The only problem I see is that when a section of the texture is turned invisible (indicating a hole) the player would probably be able to see through the ship, since the insides aren't rendered. You would need something to cover up the hole.

Nooooo, the insides are tooootally going to be rendered! There's no way I'll put holes in ships just so people can gaze at inverse geometry. I'm putting holes in ships so people can see the very poppable goodies inside.:cheer:

Thanks for mentioning that. I already knew about it, but you have reminded me to clarify. Every ounce of the ships innards is going to be fully rendered, and possess full-blown colliders for the ultimate combat. For optimization, however, I'll use occlusion culling and magic rabbits to turn off rendering the insides if you can't see them. (Hull intact or just not looking...) Not only will you be able to see the ship's insides (is that the reactor core??), but you will be able to watch your shots pass through the hole and destroy stuff. (It is! Fire all weapons! *BOOM*:evil:)

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19931 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic IronDuke's Space Game
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I thought you would do something like that.

I haven't heard of magic rabbits before. I might learn something useful by researching it.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #19932 by IronDuke

Chessking wrote: Ok, thanks for clarifying. I thought you would do something like that.

I haven't heard of magic rabbits before. I might learn something useful by researching it.

LOL I was kidding about magic rabbits. :lol::lol::lol: Just my typical semi-casual silliness. I just meant I'd use me magic coding stick to make cool things happen; basically do stuff I don't know how to yet but will when it's needed.

Best laugh I've had all week, though. :silly:

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 5 months ago #19933 by Chessking
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: I see...

In that case, I already know how to use magic rabbits. I can visualize a program using raycasting in my head, and how it would all work, but I have had zero experience in the area.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #19934 by IronDuke

Chessking wrote: In that case, I already know how to use magic rabbits. I can visualize a program using raycasting in my head, and how it would all work, but I have had zero experience in the area.

Exactly!
Maybe it could become an official developer term... :P

--IronDuke

More
8 years 5 months ago #19935 by Chessking
Maybe I'll make a point of using it in the future. ;)

Storm Petrel