Potential CD cover, maybe? LOL! (Mod poster)

More
19 years 2 months ago #18344 by Second Chance
I wanted to make a sort of poster type ad for our mod using that incredible X-Wing shot. I noticed that it also happens to be quite nearly CD case shaped, lol. [8D]

What do you all think? It's not perfect, but I made it in, like, five minutes.

Tarcoon, MajorTom; could you guys take some cool new screenshots with the other fighters, and the X-Wing with the new textures? Thanks. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12265 by Shane
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't use the low-poly models for any advertisement. It does more harm than good.

Just my two cents... but can you imagine the Edge of Chaos box with the real-time model as the cover art? ;) I would not have bought the game.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12266 by Second Chance
Here's a new one. I wanted to go for the look of the old ESB poster, but I can't separate the background from the fighters. Which I need to do to get the new image in between them for the proper effect. Oh well, this'll have to do. It's not too shabby though. Crits please.

Your point is a good one Shane. I was simply trying to use only those assets of our own creation (initially). I don't think the models look that low-poly in this picture, but it probably is fairly obvious that it's an in-game screenshot.

What do you suggest?

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 2 months ago #12270 by Shane
I was suggesting a high-poly version for artwork, but I know you're busy. Certainly there would be models of such a famous craft on the internet?

More
19 years 2 months ago #12306 by Second Chance
Hmm. It's funny. This conversation made me realize that I was feeling like MajorTom (and I guess everyone else, really) didn't want to use anything from outside our mod for our mod. Even for promotion. There's probably no foundation for that, and I'm probably totally wrong; but that was the feeling I had. I guess I didn't think about it because I'm so in love with that screenshot. It's such an amazing picture. Not like a shot from a movie, where everything is setup beforehand and you know exactly when and where everything will happen. But like a sports photograph, where the photographer was just at the right place at the right time and was fast enough on the draw to capture that moment in time.

Damn, I love that picture! (It's quite popular with my friends, too)

Oh well. Anyway, I guess we should all sit down and discuss exactly what we do want to use for promotion. FMV quality vs. screenshots, images from outside the mod, etc.

*edit*
Shane, did you mean you were suggesting that I make a high-poly version for use in promotion? I wasn't sure because you added,

. . .but I know you're busy. Certainly there would be models of such a famous craft on the internet

More
19 years 2 months ago #12318 by Shane
Yes, I was suggesting that.

This conversation made me realize that I was feeling like MajorTom (and I guess everyone else, really) didn't want to use anything from outside our mod for our mod.

You built a Darth Vader head?

Seriously, you're the groups artist/modeler for the SW mod. If you like the shot, then it's cool. :D

Mods are not always seen as 'serious'. So, if advertising a mod, I'd kick the quality of the advertising material up as far a I could to offset that lack.