Potential CD cover, maybe? LOL! (Mod poster)

More
19 years 2 months ago #12321 by Second Chance
Hmm, that last point was a good one. And I do want this mod to be a big deal. I'll wait to hear from everybody else before I decide what to do.

It would be nice if some of our guys came back to post in our forums once in a while. ;)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12326 by Tarcoon
It's a lucky snapshot from a multiplayersession with Major Tom. I remember it was difficult to arrange this simultaneous shooting.
Where is this text layout from? I know it from somewhere.... (?)
I agree with using only ingame (in-mod) stuff on the poster, so I like the first one without DV.

We should use a better pic with actual graphics and textures as a teaser. A Mon Calamari in the back and two X-Wings and two TIE's in a dogfight maybe?
I think the only way to do it is a mp-meeting with four or better five pilots - four actors and a cameraship.
Let's wait for Major Tom - maybe we'll form a squadron...

Bad luck for me - I'm on the far end now :)

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 2 months ago #12329 by Second Chance
Thanks for the input, Tarcoon.

Where is this text layout from? I know it from somewhere.... (?)

Well, it's a Star Wars typeface. That's why I used it. Actually, it's the typeface that was used on the cover of the Han Solo books.

Getting a better pic with multiple players should be much easier during the beta testing, when there are lots of people to play with (one of the reasons I'm hoping for an early spring release, Spring Break) And MT and myself both have cable internet, so maybe if you hosted the session, you wouldn't have too much lag from us.

I can't believe nobody else loves this pic, I think it's awsome. Well, thanks for the input guys. Hopefully we'll here from some more people shortly. I guess that means Hot4 and MajorTom, since I think Roi is gone like the wind. Anybody have an email address for him?

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 2 months ago #12333 by Tarcoon
Ah, now I know where the layout is from: STAR WARS Dark Forces - www.lucasarts.com/products/darkforces/splash.htm
and they even copied up to a certain degree from STAR WARS X-Wing Alliance - www.lucasarts.com/products/alliance/splash.htm .

I think we should make it more unique to suit the mod and it's art.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12335 by Second Chance
Actually that's been a standard Star Wars layout since the 70's. It was on all the toy boxes and other product marketing at the time. It was used for Dark Forces presumably because it was standard and recognizable.

I don't agree with making it unique. That doesn't make any sense to me. That would mean losing the brand recognition that Star Wars represents. Us making it unique only makes it not Star Wars. Only LucasArts can come up with something new and say, "This represents Star Wars. When you see this, you will think Star Wars." That's the whole reason why I specifically sought out a recognizable Star Wars typeface. And used a recognizable Star Wars layout. The layouts you sent me, while no doubt beautiful to look at, don't make me think of Star Wars. And it's the layout that does the work. Not everybody may recognize a certain type of ship in a picture, but almost everyone in the world recognizes the Star Wars logo.

I would like this mod to be a big deal. Like the kind you read about in game magazines. That's why I feel so strongly about rigidly holding on to brand recognition. Without the Star Wars brand, it's just another minor mod that adds a few new graphics and gameplay options. People aren't going to play this mod because we worked so hard on it, they're going to play it because it's Star Wars. Just have a read through the atari thread. They're all going nuts because they want to play Star Wars in the EoC engine.

Well, that's my two cents. Ultimately, I'll have to determine with MajorTom where we should take this mod. But this is how I feel and what I'm hoping for. Thanks again for the input guys.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12337 by Tarcoon
No problem with using the STAR WARS logo - I used it in the sent layouts too - so far it should "make you think" of STAR WARS.
But I don't want to copy Lucas Arts quality in appearance - you didn't in models.