Beta Release: To do list

More
19 years 9 months ago #10863 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Beta Release: To do list

Originally posted by Roi Danton

GUI open issues:

G1) Scrollbar in Credits screen
(I don't like the scrollbar that includes the whole splitters, but thats the only way I see 'cause we need the scrollbar when many players are on the server - two other workarounds weren't succesful)

I don't think we need a scrollbar for the players. There is room for 12 players plus the two base defenses entries. Thats plenty enough! A server with less than a T3-connection can't handle more than 8 real players and 4 bots anyhow. (and who has a T3?)

We would only need a scroll bar for the "special unit stats", because that can only handle 4 players.
Have you looked at the scrollbars used in the splitters for the ship selection in the original iNetworkGui? Would that be adaptable?
Maybe you could re-code the 3 splitters "special unit stats", "repaired" and "bombed" to be a single splitter (with formated string content) and then give that a scrollbar?

G2) Trade End Screen?

We decided to leave the trade game out of the SW mod a month ago, so that issue isn't pressing now. I assume when we do a combined (or separate) mod with Buda5 we will put trade in that.
I think it would be better to just do a completly new screen for trade then and have the MP script for the Trade game call it separatly instead of the current score screen.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10875 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Beta Release: To do list

Originally posted by MajorTom

Have you looked at the scrollbars used in the splitters for the ship selection in the original iNetworkGui? Would that be adaptable?
Maybe you could re-code the 3 splitters "special unit stats", "repaired" and "bombed" to be a single splitter (with formated string content) and then give that a scrollbar?

:)
Nice. That is about what I thought, too. So 'cause you mentioned it too I've the hope that this will work. It just need some time to code.

We decided to leave the trade game out of the SW mod [...] I think it would be better to just do a completly new screen for trade then and have the MP script for the Trade game call it separatly instead of the current score screen.

Okay, I just was wondering 'cause you requested something regarding the Trade Screen somewhere in this forum recently.

EDIT:
To Do regarding Presentation
P1)Arranging the Match Description in a HTML style.
P2)Short story.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 9 months ago #10880 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

I agree about the loss of the SW feeling, but we really need to test the gameplay modes fully.

I can't follow you here. what do you mean by test the game modes?
What kind of tests were you thinking of?

And really, really need to get the flight model worked out.

Thats something we need to do (at least to the largest part) before we release anything. I assure you it will be done by the time the models are finished.

It's really more accurate to call it an alpha release without all the content in place. So, we'll hold a round of alpha testing, with stations as placeholders.

Lets not rush anything unnecessarily. How long would it take you to make a mockup of the mon calamari carrier like the one you did for the SD? (after the other ships are done)
That would be better as a placeholder than a station imo.

Originally posted by Roi Danton

To Do regarding Presentation
P1)Arranging the Match Description in a HTML style.
P2)Short story.

Why the HTML style Roi?
It would be cool the have the match description scroll up whenever you have selected a game (like the ship descriptions do). I would be all for that. Otherwise I wouldn't see a reason to do them in HTML style[?]

Can you take a look at that, to see if you could get a html game discription to scroll in the Network GUI?

btw, Just so we don't forget: before we do a release we need to re-work the credits too.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10884 by Second Chance

I can't follow you here. what do you mean by test the game modes?
What kind of tests were you thinking of?

I was actually refering to the beta tests here. The testing for balance and such that you were planning anyway.

Lets not rush anything unnecessarily.

I don't see what you mean. An Alpha comes before a Beta. Beta tests are for when a game is mostly finished and just needs to be tweaked, all content (models, etc) should aready be in place by then. If we do tests before all the content is placed, and while gameplay is still open for new functionality ideas, it's really an Alpha test. I wasn't rushing anything, just pointing out what we're doing.

How long would it take you to make a mockup of the mon calamari carrier like the one you did for the SD?

Hmm, I'm not sure. I'm totally not prepared to even start on the Mon Calamari ship, so I don't have any overall shape dimensions or even what shape it needs to be. So it could take a while. I'm sure the mock-ups would work fine as placeholders, they just wouldn't look as nice. But you guys are probably right, we should use all the correct models (or mock-ups) for the tests.

Why the HTML style Roi?

I think he's refering to my suggestion of putting all the game-mode descriptions you wrote into an easy to navigate html file. Although it would be really cool to have them scroll like you said as well.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10979 by MajorTom
I don't think we will do ourselves a favor by doing an open "Alpha" test. If the mod is too "unfinished" we may get more of a thumbs down than have benefit from it

We do need something to keep people interested. They are primalily interested in pics it seems. At least, that gets lots more responses than a list of functionality.

If the B-Wing was textured, we could make a series of screen shots and post them in the forums- Could we move the texture of the B-Wing up a notch in the priority list?

More
19 years 9 months ago #10981 by Second Chance
I agree about the alpha test. "Open" is no good, it should just be us.

You're right about the pics, MT. Actually, it seems like as long as they're getting pics, they don't care how long it takes to develop.

Sure, I could start the B-Wing textures in-between modeling sessions. Would that be ok?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4