Star Wars Mod; Assault Game:

More
19 years 9 months ago #18164 by MajorTom
Station Assault Game:
This game is similar to a class based team fortress game, but it allows for an uneven number of players on the teams because the defenders have some additional bot support when things get hot for them.
The objective is to destroy (defend) the Imperial facility for the duration of a 30 minute Rebel attack.
Your first strategic choice is to determine which type of ship (class) you wish to Pilot. Available are: fighters, Bombers and CUV support vessels

Game Type:
Team.Assault
1 – 12 Players
Map Size 80 km diameter

Scoring, Rules, Tactic :

Rules:

First team to get 150 points wins the game. If no team achieves 150 points within 30 minutes the Imps have successfully stopped the attack

Frag Points:
Imperial Facility:
Beta TF Base 40 Pts.
Beta HQ 60 Pts.
Beta Missile Factory 20 Pts.
Beta Weapons Factory 20 Pts.
Guard Bot 2 Pts

Black Bone Base (Rebels) 150 Pts

In order to win the game as a rebel you will have to accumulate at least 10 points by fragging other player or Bot ships in addition to destroying all 4 stations. As a defender you would only have to destroy the Rebel Base but you’ll probably have your hands full defending. The Imperials win if the rebels have less than 150 points after 30 minutes.

To reload your ships ammo based weapons or re-stock your missile launchers dock at the Beta
TF Base (Imps), or at the Black Bone Base (Rebels). Use the Autopilot (F8) to dock.

A Guard Bot will launch from the Imperial TF Base to provide additional protection whenever an enemy player gets within15 km distance. (only one Bot is launched per minute)

The Rebel Base and the 4 beta Stations have weapon turrets with a range of 15 km and PDTs (Anti-missile turrets) with a range of approximately 9 km.

Tactics and Notes:

The CUV is not a good selection for the defending team if you are outnumbered due to its lack of dog fighting capability. It is good support for the Rebel team but you shouldn’t deploy the 8ty8 Gunstars too close to your base. They may damage it when they explode!

The Asteroids and junk around the imperial facility provide excellent cover for attacking B-Wing bombers!

It is not easy to destroy the Rebel base because the inky black vortex around it impairs an attackers vision totally. Rebels can rely on their Autopilot to dock there for repairs and to re-load ammo.

Note: A ships “target assistant� automatically calculates the middle of a selected target. There may however not be any hull structure at the “middle� of a station or base. Use your zoom (the games default key is Y) to see if your weapon is actually aimed at your targets hull. If not, position your ship to get some of the stations hull structure between you and the aim point.

Client Settings
Select a ship by clicking on it, the docs for the chosen ship will be displayed. After you’ve decided which ship to use click the ready button. Press the button “Internet Game� to reach the in-game browser. Click on the game / server you wish to join. The appropriate map will automatically load and be interrupted by a team selection screen.
Press the button for the team you wish to join (Imperials / Rebels). After a few moments you will join the game at a point close to your base.

Server Settings:
After you’ve selected a ship, click the host session button. The game time is set per script default at 30 min and the point limit to win the game is 150 points. You can set the point limit value higher ( but not lower). You can reduce the time limit down to 20 minutes if you want to have the game end sooner or set a longer game time. Click the AI/Bots Settings button to input if you want to play with bots, their skill level and if they should be replaced by players or not. Go back one screen (right click) and then press start.

Team information:

We recommend using the Gamespy chat room to agree on teams and ships before joining a game. You can also see who is playing where and on what team in the Gamespy server browser as well as the scores achieved in a game that may have already started.
To join a game however, please use the in-game browser:
Otherwise you won’t be able to select the ship of your choice.

Edit: corrected the typo for the Guard bots points (it was 12). should only be 2 points. /edit

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10820 by Second Chance
Awsome! Thanks MajorTom, this is just what I've needed. As time permits, would you add the other game types to the above post?

The Station Assault game sounds really cool. Here's some questions:
  • Is it possible to rack up 150 points by fragging ships alone and not destroying any of the base facilities? If it is, I think the attack should be considered unsuccessful unless at least one of the base facilities is destroyed.
  • I assume the Rebel "base" is a carrier of some kind. It would be silly to have an actual base so close to an Imperial base.
  • Is the Rebel base specifically called Black Bone Base? I've never heard this term before. It sounds cool, what does it mean?

Again, thanks MT. I can't wait to see this kind of write up for the other game modes. :D

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10833 by MajorTom
You could reach 150 points by fragging enough enemy ships.
Currently bombers and CUVs have 5 points value, so you would need to frag 30 of them or 75 X-Wings (at 2 points each).

Yes, The rebel base should be a carrier. The plan is to have it located at a static position on the map. (so it won't/can't be moving around). The station there is just a place holder atm.

We could replace one of the imperial stations with a SD (also in static position) so if it's destroyed and 150 points achieved we could say the Rebels were sucessfull.

Black Bone Base: associates with the inky black vortex around it and has a pirate-like touch. It is just a name left over from a story idea, as we had no carriers planned.
(the story was that a rebel sympathetic group lived at a camaoflaged outpost (shrouded in a black vortex). The imps came and started building a secret weapons facility. Then they discovered (red-faced with embarresment) the nearby shrouded base, tried to expand thier facility and exploit the situation, but were refused. The Imps attacked it and Black bone Base called for rebel help.)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10878 by MajorTom
Here is a background story for the Assault game:

The Imperial TransPerBean Refinery!

The planet Epyon below this Imperial facility produces only one product: Little brownish-red, white spotted Beans. Epyon beans smell enticingly like coffee and can be brewed into a very tasty beverage. They also have a slightly nonaddictive hallucinatory effect.

Imperial scientist have learned to refine TransPerBeans for use as Trans-Personality catalysts. The resulting beverage is given to storm troopers to rid them of any tendency towards leniency or moral reservations shortly before they are deployed on some of the nastiest planetary retaliation and clean-up missions.

As usual, the haughty imperialists have simply dumped their junk and waste in the vicinity disregarding any respect for the ecology and the fact that the debris could also provide excellent cover for attacking forces.

The Mission
As a member of an elite wing of Rebel Jedi knights, you have entered the sector with your carrier codenamed Alpha force. Your mission is to destroy the refinery and the enemy fortifications.

An area of intense “Force� presence provides a camouflaging cloak of darkness surrounding your carrier. Inside the Force field it's inky black even to you as a Jedi, and even more so to imperial intruders who may attempt a retaliation attack on your base.

A Jedi knows no fear: The Force is with you and will guide you as you dog fight any imperials who venture into the inky black cloak, while your B-Wing bombers pound the imperial fortifications.

Bomber and CUV pilots as well as Jedi fighters can rely on the auto pilot when inside the black vortex whenever they need to dock to the carrier to rearm, re-supply and repair their ships.

You must destroy the enemy Facility before reinforcements from the planet arrive.
You have 30 minutes time, May the Force be with you!

/Story

[:I] well, ok, so I'm not a writer, but I couldn't think of anything else.
The cargo pod games "Cargo Hunt" and "Search and Destroy" could be linked to this story. The cargo pods would represent imperial stockpiles of refined TarnsPerBean extract. The missions will be further clean up operations to protect the galaxy from horrible massacres preformed by personality inhibited, drugged Storm troopers.

We could easily make this into a coop game too. The Imps could be bots in TIEs and T/INTs instead of players on the imperial team.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10892 by Second Chance
LOL! Brilliant! I love it! That's a great story, very imaginative. The only thing I would change would be the Jedi aspect, I think it's been done to death. I would really like to see just the regular, normal rebellion pilots doing their job. Ol' Jedi Luke gets too much credit. The rebellion was fought almost exclusively by the common people, who were oppressed by the Empire. Let them have their rightful glory, not the silly Jedi.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10915 by Second Chance
I've been having a lot of fun on this map, but I have one question: What determines the bots ship selection? Because it seems kind of silly when some of the Imperials are using Rebel ships, and vice versa.