Issues with Starting/Playing the mod

More
19 years 10 months ago #18139 by MajorTom
Opening a new thread for this so we can follow up on any issues that may show up:

Originally posted by Shane

I could lie and say I haven't yet had time to download the SW mod releases... but the truth is I have no idea how to set them up so I can play them on my computer. I've never played an online game... at all. This is the main reason for my procrastination.

It's probably pretty silly (I used to loopback digital group multiplexing communications equipment in the military in the wink of an eye - you'd think looping back a computer wouldn't scare me off).

You don't need the loop back, if you have a flat rate, (or don't mind the cost of being online a few minutes)
No one else can join your game because no one else has the mod.

When you start the mod, you're automatically in MP mode. It's really easy, no setup at all:

DL the dev version, extract it to "StarWarsA1" in you EOC directory. (if you want to be 200% insured put a copy of your flux.ini somewheres else first before you run the batch file).
Now double click the batch file. thats it! No new keybinds, no changing flux or anything.

You are now only 8 mouse clicks (less than a minute) from being in the game.

connect to the internet the same way you do to come here.
(if your IE explorer is running in the background it doesn't matter)

Start the game as usual (optionaly watch the station explode or press the space bar)

(1) Click "Start Starwars MP". You automatically land in the ship selection screen.
(2) click on a ship (or use the default which is the CUV)
(3) click "ready"
(4) click "host session" (use the default game/map or choose one)
(5) click "Ai Settings" and set the number of bots you want (an even number between 0 and 12)
(6) click on the back button (or just right click your mouse)
(7) click on "start"
(8) (wait about 20 seconds) When the Team selection screen pops up click on your favorite team.
(wait a few more seconds) You are in the game!

Once you have tried it out, you can consider doing the loopback.
If you have XP or 98, a loopback is very easy to install. (but only necessary to save online time)

Edit:
forgot to mention: to get back to Single Play mod, just open the folder StarWarsA1, double click the batch file and then select "e" (as in exit). The batch will then put you back in SP mode.

The batch will not change any of your SP game files and not influence any SP mods. It only temporarily switches out your flux.ini, (thats why I mentioned a flux.ini backup as 200% insurance)
/Edit

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10650 by MajorTom
If a test game doesn't start using the above method, the reason is probably your firewall.

Besides saving money/online time a Loopback can be very useful if you have a Firewall. A loopback is for all practicle purposes simply a virtual network adapter.

Most firewalls can distinguish between network adapters and allow you to set different rules on different network interfaces.
You can set the Loopback to all ports open. (and leave the settings unchanged on your "real" network interface.)

AFAIK, there is no security risk in having all ports open on the Loopback. Primarily because it is not possible to get from the (outside) internet into the (system internal) loopback.

Secondly, if someone does hack your system through your firewall he certainly would'nt need to use the loopback for anything anyhow

More
19 years 9 months ago #10888 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

That is why I keep saying the mod cannot mess up your SP game.

But if you recall, it did. After I ran the de-install, then ran it again because it didn't work, it tried to put the original flux.ini back. But since there was no longer any backup, it replaced it with nothing, effectively deleting it. Not to mention hiding my mods so I couldn't find them because it failed to rename the mods folder back to normal.

I'm not really concerned with running it. I can usually figure out how to restore it. It's just annoying that I can never play it more than once without having to fix EoC and re-installing the mod. But, you may have fixed all that stuff while I was gone, so I'll try it today.

Ok lets get this issue fixed finally.

Have you tried the new batch at all? (the last version I sent you on june 6 or 7th ?

Just to be on the safe side make a back up copy of your flux and your mod folder. (Then you can switch them around manually if there are still any problems)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10891 by Second Chance
Yeah, I'm going to play it today.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10901 by Second Chance
Well, here's my latest problem. (Aren't I just full of them? :D)

I started the mod and chose an X-Wing. Then selected to host a Rebs vs. Imp Bots game on the Imp Flight Academy map. I set 9 bots with disruptors on and auto bot replacement.

When I hit the Start button, it started loading package imilacademy_sw. Under that was the expected ini:/multiplayer/maps/sw_academymap.

The load reached the end and then just froze. The music kept playing, but the fade-in/out effect of the loading text just hung there, forever. [:(]

I forced quit and retried several times, but it always freezes at the same point, just when it's finished loading but before the game starts.

Any help?

btw - I used the batch in the download, not the one from the email. Does it matter?

And I'm not going to try de-installing until I get it working and have a chance to play. Unless you say I need to.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10906 by MajorTom
Just forget the botmatch for now. (It doesn't really freeze but it takes too long, maybe 30 secs, to create the bots). I've got the updated version of the botmatch working now and will upload it on Wed. latest. (Edit: Oops just remembered: there is a problem with the path in the botmatch package file that keeps it from making the bots)

Use any other of the games.

That has the advantage that you can set bots to 0 if you want to be undisturbed for testing.
If you want one bot to battle with: Set 2 bots and check bot replacement in the AI Settings.
Otherwise, You can set up to 8 bots. Then you'll have 4 on your team and 4 against you.

Edit: the batch in the current Dev. version DL is the same as the one I sent you.