Descent: Underground

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #19444 by schmatzler
I've just heard about a Kickstarter project that is going on for a while.

Do you remember the Descent series back from the 90s? They had three titles and one expansion for Descent 3 (Mercenaries). Hell, Descent 3 even was one of the first Linux games.

It looks like these titles may get a sequel soon, called "Descent: Underground":

I love the new approach. Getting away from the narrow corridors that were the style of the 90's and making it more open-world.

There are only 10 hours left to reach the goal on Kickstarter and I just hope, they can do it - but it looks very close :unsure:

descendentstudios.com/ks

What do you think?

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #19445 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Descent: Underground
Looks cool! I hope they make it. I can imagine it would be a disappointment to be building a game and end up not being able to finish it. The tunnel based system of the old games and part of the new is interesting.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 1 week ago #19447 by schmatzler
Replied by schmatzler on topic Descent: Underground
They did it! It was really, really close! They needed 600.000 and got 601.773! :D I'm really glad that another Descent is coming soon now :)

www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendents.../descent-underground

More
9 years 5 days ago #19449 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Descent: Underground
Well, while I was initially hyped by the thought that we might soon have a new Descent (the second installment is my favourite one), I was put off that Descent: Underground will be MP only with an *optional* SP campaign *maybe* somewhere in the future, and only if enough gullible fools… sorry, I mean KS backers will back the game. I will not be a part of this.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19550 by schmatzler
Replied by schmatzler on topic Descent: Underground
I've never seen them talk about Singleplayer being optional, so I'm still looking forward to it :)

I also don't like the trend that a lot of new games are heavily Multiplayer-oriented and we don't get so many good Singleplayer games anymore, but it makes sense for Descent to play it against others.

If they fuck it up, I'll be the first one to be angry about it, no worries :D

More
8 years 11 months ago #19552 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Descent: Underground
The creator said on the KS description page that they'll consider making SP into a tier or something like that. Anyway, since that meant that SP is not on board from the start, I immediately lost interest.

I admit that I had huuuge fun with D1 (or 2?) in MP back in the days, but "MP only" is what I absolutely disagree with. I mean, sure, it's less work for the creators who don't need to program an AI but instead just provide a sandbox for the players to move in, but from a gaming perspective, I'm absolutely into SP with the rare exception of WoT or MWO.