ELITE:Dangerous !!! Kickstarter Project

More
8 years 11 months ago #19685 by IronDuke
I've been watching videos of the game on Youtube (Isinona's videos are especially cool) and it seems to have a Newtonian flight model like I-war2's, the only difference being that you can't do a thruster override past the throttle limit and the maneuverability doubles in a sweet zone around 50% throttle.
It's on my wishlist, but I can't pay $60 USD for it just yet, so I'll wait till it goes on sale. Besides, development of my own game beckons...
Incidentally, I do like some sandbox games, which is why I might like this game, but the continuous Internet required is something of a trip-up. I've mentioned before that my working computer doesn't have Internet. Still, it would be fun.

--IronDuke

P.S. They were planning an offline mode for it, but removed that feature late in the beta on the grounds that it took away from the ever-changing, evolving experience the players get since the universe would not be able to be updated. Part of the game's appeal is that it has an ongoing story, influenced by the players' combined actions or lack thereof and an almighty hand behind the main server. :p

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19733 by AdmiralZeratul

IronDuke wrote: P.S. They were planning an offline mode for it, but removed that feature late in the beta on the grounds that it took away from the ever-changing, evolving experience the players get since the universe would not be able to be updated. Part of the game's appeal is that it has an ongoing story, influenced by the players' combined actions or lack thereof and an almighty hand behind the main server. :p

That sounds very similar to EVE Online, except that the ships can be controlled manually.

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19734 by 7upMan
There were several projects that tried to compete with EVE in that regard, but none really got anywhere. We'll have to see where E:D will go. I personally won't hold my breath.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19740 by schmatzler
What about "Star Citizen"? I was on the forum for a short time (to help some people with I-War :P ) and from what I could see, they use Newtonian physics.

robertsspaceindustries.com/download

Has anyone played that yet?

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19742 by AdmiralZeratul
I've heard some things about that game. Some people say that Star Citizen is too big to fail. Some say it's a load of vaporware and call it "Far Citizen".

The guy behind Star citizen has experience making a lot of really good games. That's not necessarily a quality guarantee though. Apparently, the person who made Daikatana also made Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake.

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19747 by 7upMan
WHAT?!? Sorry, AdmiralZeratul, but you didn't get your facts right. John Romero, CO-creator of Doom, Quake and Daikatana, did play a role in the creation of Doom and Quake, but he was one of many. His true "skills" showed with Daikatana, which shipped several years too late and was not a whole lot of fun to play. It failed badly. "John Romero is going to make you his bitch - suck it up" became a matter of utter ridicule.