file ELITE:Dangerous !!! Kickstarter Project

More
11 years 4 months ago #19194 by czar1111
it's David Braben!

I put this in here for some urgent attention.

It is (and isn't) a General EOC issue because of the details.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Have a look at the FAQ
Will you have Newtonian physics in the game?

Yes. The degree of the fly-by-wire to override the feeling of skidding is something we will carefully tune.

Will I be able to speed up time?
No, not in the sense that “Frontier� allowed you to travel huge distances in a short period of time. Instead we plan to use ‘local hyperspace’ travel. This is because time has to stay locked between the players (otherwise multiplayer doesn’t work).

Sounds familiar?

Mr Stephen Robertson is at Rockstar Leeds AFAIK - I would love to see him (and the Particle Systems team) involved in this in some way (even as backers).
Since it looks like this will be Elite with something similar to an I-War travel/flight model?

And frankly, I can't think of anything better than two great teams working together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19624 by RichardSkinner
so this is a pretty old post, but I went ot the link and watched some vids and this project looks pretty cool. I like how when you get close to the rings of a planet they turn into asteroids. It defiantly has the sense of scale that I'm looking for.

has anyone else been following or picked this up yet?

The Priceline Negotiator

More
8 years 10 months ago #19625 by schmatzler
Yes, it's out since December 2014:

www.elitedangerous.com/

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19667 by 7upMan
Apparently this is an online only game, where the (lackluster) singleplayer part only works as long as you have a connection with their server. The reviews are mixed on this one, and I for one don't recommend spending money for this game after reading multiple reviews.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19678 by schmatzler
UK£ 39.99 = 55.6519876 €

I will never pay that much money for a game.

Elite is on my wishlist (You never know until you played it), but I will wait for a sale - after all, it's just frakkin' software that may be shit. :D

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19683 by RichardSkinner
well let us know if it does go on sale and you pick it up. they do have a "friends only" semi online mode I believe. you never know it could be interesting, especially if its an evolving project, they could eventually add enough content to make it awesome.

The Priceline Negotiator