Close up pics of the B-Wing's new tweaked textures

More
19 years 5 months ago #18280 by Second Chance
Here's some new pics to show off the B-Wings new tweaked textures. And the detail really holds up nicely in the Flux engine.

This pic shows off the cockpit detail really well.

The lower boom and gunpod

Wings, gunpod and engines.

I tried using a new Photoshop filter trick for the chipped paint on the wing, but I didn't really get it right. I'll have to practice using a wider variety of settings.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11878 by jumbo
Hi Second Chance, I like dabbling in filters, though I use PSP not Photoshop. If you are using a mask to create the flakey paint edge, maybe you could use this.

I created it using the soft leather texture.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
19 years 5 months ago #11879 by Second Chance
Hey jumbo, thanks. That's a really nice mask. I love how it shows the crazing in the paint near the edges of the cracks. That's a really high-res effect though, it wouldn't really do for game textures. All that great detail would get lost in the low-res final output. But I'm going to hold on to that mask if you don't mind, it looks really handy for other things.

What I did was only a sort of mask. It makes use of Photoshop's quick-mask mode, which allows you to load a layer as a selection (the paint to be chipped, in this case) and then temporarily turn it into a mask. Then you can paint the quick-mask in or out and manipulate it with filters in real-time, to create a new selection area out of the manipulated mask. I was just experimenting with the pointilize filter on the quick-mask. But my settings were way to high, resulting in the huge ripped-out chunks with mostly straight lines (very unrealistic). But I guess it looked good at the time, or I was tired or something, because I never changed it. But since every element in the texture is on it's own layer I'll probably go back and try to fix it up later. I should have done it during the last tweaking, but I forgot about it.

The little chipped areas on the wing leading edge came out well though.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4