Flux poly limits

More
19 years 7 months ago #11703 by mdvalley
Replied by mdvalley on topic Flux poly limits
To me, it looks like all of the preloaded sims are defined in flux.ini, under icClient. Things like the freighters, tugs, and even the puffin are in that list.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11704 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Flux poly limits

Originally posted by mdvalley

To me, it looks like all of the preloaded sims are defined in flux.ini, under icClient. Things like the freighters, tugs, and even the puffin are in that list.

Thats not exclusive.
You can preload sims and subsims dynamically per pog with:

Sim.Preload( string template );

Subsim.Preload( string template );

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11706 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Flux poly limits
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that MajorTom is correct about the stuttering experienced during the creation of copies of preloaded sims. Copying an already loaded 3D mesh object is essentially instantaneous. There would be no perceptible delay. This is the reason why game engines use copy mesh commands instead of reloading the same mesh every time. The delay must come from the execution of code.

Although the initial loading of a 3D mesh can be quite time consuming.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 7 months ago #11712 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Flux poly limits
Actually, we could use Terrapin tugs for this test. Anything that gives us a known number of textured polygons would work fine. And those tugs also have collision hulls.

-Gtrout

Ok, there are a few issues with this approach. First, sandbox scatters the ships around when they are placed. Normally a good thing, but in this case, it means the player is not viewing all the same LODs. We could correct this by just changing the setup to use the highest level model for all 3 LOD, right?

Here is a first trial run. Maxed graphics setting (everything on) viewing two terrapin at close range. 800x600 in a window. 124FPS (no motion). This drops to 90 FPS when I am viewing 10 terrapin scattered about at 5 to 20km.

Shane, can you give us a count of the number of polys in the sections? And how many are in the collision hull?

More
19 years 7 months ago #11713 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Flux poly limits
The Terrapin was my first model. I was somewhat inexperienced... it uses the same model for each LOD. :D So no difference in poly count will be experienced no matter how far away it is.

I'll look up the polys and post back.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11714 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Flux poly limits
Terrapin model is composed of 885 polys (all 3 vertice polys).

Terrapin collision hull is composed of 73 polys (all 3 vertice polys).