The Tie Bomber

More
19 years 9 months ago #18178 by Second Chance
The Tie Bomber was created by Second Chance
The Tie Bomber is under construction. Check the main 3D forum for pics. I'll try to have it finished by the end of the week.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11270 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic The Tie Bomber
I've sent the bomber off to MajorTom, so I'm sure it'll be in the game soon. I discovered while sizing it that the Tie Fighter ended up being far too small, so I'm going to resize it and get it out soon.

On another note, I've found that the SW models in general are too small to need 3 LODs, so I'm going to drop the middle LOD on each model. You should find this to be a nice graphical improvement. The changes filewise will be minor, just the avatar lws. I'll get them out shortly.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11280 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic The Tie Bomber
Got the bomber. Thanks, I'll put it in the game asap.

The interesting big question is, What will our Hud target window look like if you take away the middle LOD? Will we still have a mesh representation of the model?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #11282 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic The Tie Bomber
Lol, yes. I not taking it away literally. That was just the least complicated way to tell you guys about it. I'm actually replacing the LOD 1 mesh with a copy of LOD 0. And using the LOD 1 mesh for LOD 2. The reason for this is, apparently the LOD switch is dependent on the size of the model (or collision hull, like for the HUD target size); as the tiny fighters swap LODs very rapidly (as opposed to a much larger ship which let you get much farther away literally, but the same distance proportionally). So LODs 0 and 1 will use the high detail mesh and LOD 2 will use the medium detail mesh. It looks much better that way. And you'll be close enough to get the high detail mesh so rarely and so briefly, you won't notice any performance change. Not that you really would anyway, the LOD aren't really all that far apart in polycount.

I'm also about to send you a massive model update. It's something I should've done a long time ago. I've gone back and picked apart the meshes and really cleaned them up, getting rid of tons of useless hidden polys. I've also redone all the LOD models to be more efficient, so they'll look better and still have fewer polys. Then I went back and redid all the texture maps to be a more reasonable size; much smaller than before but still large enough to have gorgeous detail. Overall, you should be seeing much smaller file sizes with slightly better performance. The really sad part about it is; if I've done a good job, you won't even know the difference. LOL!

More
19 years 9 months ago #11285 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

The really sad part about it is; if I've done a good job, you won't even know the difference. LOL!

Not necessarily, this could improve online preformance considerably!

More
19 years 9 months ago #11305 by MajorTom
The bomber is in the game now in two versions. One has an ion cannon together with the "Energy Bomb Cannon" and "Shanes bomb. The other has torpedoes and missiles.

It doesn't have gun proturbances (barrels, pipes or whatever) on the front where the gun01 and gun02 nulls are. Do they come later as part of the textures?

I'm not too sure about the nulls on the right side (seen from the front). What do you call the bent up thingy that looks like an upside down periscope that's sticking out the bottom? Is that where the bomb_rack null is or is that the torpedo_tube? Is there a null on that object at all?

The other "Model Update" package with the LOD and texture changes hasn't come through yet. Is that still work in progress?