Getting non-Lightwave created models into the game

More
19 years 2 months ago #12423 by Dark Fire
Second, with small poly items like that, put them into a new layer, hit k in lightwave, go to points view, and connect them in 3 or 4 point polygons as needed, that example started with 8 polys, and with tesselation, you ended up with around 30 is my guess, if you redo it by hand, i can make the same thing with 12 polys. :) when your trying for low poly, its the way to go.

The Man with the really big ship, aka the Columbia Class Super Danube :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12426 by Second Chance
Thanks, that's definitely an option. But I wasn't trying to deal with poly counts here. This tutorial was strictly to demonstrate polygon shapes that would not be accepted by flux and one way to fix them. I've already dealt with ways of reducing the poly count in the main tutorial. I could, of course, have continued and collapsed all the adjacent polys that make up acceptable polygon shapes to end up with the same 12 polys you mentioned, but I leave that to the modeler. I didn't want to make it more complicated by re-addressing previous issues.

But my way isn't the only way, or even the best way. So thanks for pointing out a different way to cut the shapes up. Could be your way is faster and simpler, since it combines cutting the polys with keeping a low count. Could you elaborate a little on the method and how it works? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 2 months ago #12429 by Dark Fire
i will next week, when i have my comp back, ill whip up a quick tutorial. :)

More
18 years 9 months ago #13256 by Second Chance
Revised the main tutorial. Should clarify some of the more ambiguous procedures. Also included some minor new info. Probably worth a re-read.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13268 by Vali
Hey, Second

Is it possible to texture multiple objects and then attach them together with out affecting the texture?

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
18 years 9 months ago #13290 by Second Chance
Hi Vali. Yes, it is possible. If each object has it's own uvw map coordinates and uses different map channels. And all materials are then combined into a Multi/Sub-Object material. It would be very complicated to do things this way though. You're far better off attaching all necessary meshes first, and then defining separate mapping coordinates for different groups of polygons in the same mesh. Basically, normal texturing procedure.

In fact, the amount of work involved in what you're asking is so great that, if you've already textured your separate objects, you're actually better of just attaching everything and completely remapping the new object when it's finished. (Just remember to save your polygon groups by naming them in the toolbar for easy access later.)

And don't forget; any texturing you do in Max won't translate into Lightwave. But I suspect that you want to build your textures in Max and then render them to images that can be applied in Lightwave. Am I right?

btw - one incredibly useful plugin and two incredibly useful scripts for texturing in Max (especially for games) are:

<font color="orange">Texporter</font id="orange"> - which can be found here www.cuneytozdas.com/ renders excellent uvw map painting templates from unwrapped meshes. And,
<font color="red">Chiliskinner</font id="red"> - which doesn't seem to be around anymore. It's really useful though, I can mail it to you if you like. It automates mesh unwrapping and planar texture mapping (like for game models).

And don't forget,

E-Light - which takes all the hassle out of lighting a scene for a gorgeous show-off render. Makes even the crappiest meshes look awsome. Mostly good for displaying an untextured mesh, to show off the detail. This is what I use for all of the untextured mesh renders on my site. Get it here home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyraider/e-light.htm