StarWars GUIs and supporting graphics

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #18027 by MajorTom
I'm slowly learning to do some graphics stuff too. :D
But it sure takes up a lot of time [xx(]

I'm trying to make some new backgrounds and "movies" for the GUI and as they say practice makes perfect (so I'm still practicing).
To give you an idea what I'm trying to do, some shots to look at below. If anyone has some great shots that we can use or wants to help on this kind of graphic work please feel free to speak up.

The main GUI movie (instead of CAL twirling in the background)
(you just have to imagine the Star Wars Theme music playing)

The ingame GUI where you select your team (Here the Botmatch game) looks like this

Edit: We need 3 different "movies" for the main GUI and 4 or 5 images for the ingame team selection GUIs.
/Edit

Btw: as I mentioned before, the Gui Score screen causes some problems when it is called up during a MP game. Here is the new version thats displayed directly on the hud. Note: To reduce data transfer loads on the server, the bots individual scores aren't shown but the team points they get are counted in the totals.
(sorry the pics are so tiny)

The new ingame scores Screen looks like this

Or like this

The numbers next to the team names are Points and Frags. (I've just got to add that into the string now that all is properly counted and displayed.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9547 by Tarcoon
Hi MT,
did you want me to speak up?

I did that kind of stuff before - so if you want me to deal with it...

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9553 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Tarcoon

Hi MT,
did you want me to speak up?

Well, Ahhemm. Yep! You guessed it!;)

You did a good job on the stuff for the DOW cutscene. If you want to help on this you're more than welcome :D

If you have any self made screen shots from any star wars games (or any other non-proprietary starwars pics) for the backgrounds, that would be cool too!

You'll also be one of the first to get the beta too!

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9556 by Shane
Lightwave can create an avi movie of a spinning ship (x-wing, tie, etc.), and then the Bink tools can convert it to a format EoC can display.

However, there would be a large increase in the size of the mod. Downloading the mod would be difficult for anyone on dial-up.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9559 by Second Chance
Yippeee! The SW mod team grows!

Oh, and very cool pics MT. Is that one of my Tie Fighter? Sweeet!

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #9561 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Shane

Lightwave can create an avi movie of a spinning ship (x-wing, tie, etc.), and then the Bink tools can convert it to a format EoC can display.

However, there would be a large increase in the size of the mod. Downloading the mod would be difficult for anyone on dial-up.

Ahh, I always wondered how they made the spinny for each of the multiplayer ship models. They are 6.2 MB in size (6.1 MB zipped ;)).
I analyised one and found it to be over 500 single .jpg shots.

The mod itself won't be too big, only around 3MB basic plus 3 MB for each ship. (with 7 ships around 25-30 MB.)
You're right: A good movie package would be about 50 MB, but it could be a separate download. (the game won't crash without them, it just shows an empty screen with the text)

We can however make movies with lots less: the main GUI "movie" shown above is only 18kb (because it's a single frame thats looped)
For an example of short movies look at the ones in EpicOnline in the folder movies/multiplayer with your bik player. All of them are less than 400 kb.
Can you think of a way to make something comparable to them with lightwave?