*Huge Important Lightwave 6.5 Announcement*

More
20 years 2 months ago #17961 by Second Chance
Lightwave 6.5 has been tested by me and proven to officially work completely for getting surfaced, textured models into EoC!!! :D :D :D

Here's the proof! With a placeholder texture map on the main hull for clarity.

If you've got 6.5 here's how:
  • In Modeler; make or open your model, surface as normal using a non-UVW method. i.e. planar, etc.
  • Use a bitmap (.bmp) as the texture map.
  • Select File>Export>Export Lightwave 5
  • Close your object, but <font color="orange">Do Not Save It!</font id="orange">
  • In Layout; set up your scenes as normal, using your exported LW5 objects.
  • Select File>Export>Save 5.6 scene...
  • Quit Layout; it won't prompt you to save, so <font color="orange">Don't!</font id="orange">
  • Run your LW5 objects through the converter.
  • Check to make sure the converter says "x surfaces gives x textures." Where x is your number of surfaces.
You should now have a fully EoC compliant model. :D

The important point is that Lightwave 5 is no longer the only option.

Also, since LW 6.5 has support for UVW coordinates (among other tools) it should make model conversions even easier! :)

*Note* The reason bitmaps and not jpegs should be used is because the converter will accept jpegs and will output an LBM file, but the textures won't show up in the game.

btw - My falcon model has more nav lights than this but since they flash it was impossible to get a pic with them all lit up at once. The headlights don't flash, of course.

***EDIT***
If at all possible try to use IFF image files instead of bitmaps. I've just found out they're the kind LW likes best, and they look much better in game.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.