Need COMSEC experts!

More
20 years 3 months ago #17899 by Shane
Need COMSEC experts! was created by Shane
Can anyone identify what purpose this part serves?

(Part in question denoted by arrow.)
http://images.snapfish.com/3397259923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323494%3C%3B%3A6%3B7ot1lsi

http://images.snapfish.com/3397259923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323494%3C%3B%3A6%3B%3Bot1lsi

It seems to be a flap of some kind. But I'd never heard of a comsec performing atmospheric flight, so I doubt it's an aero-brake. Does it shield some important hardware?

It appears (top and bottom) on the I-War comsec model. And in the EoC old comsec model. And in Craig Clark's high-poly dreadnaught model, so I assume it must be there for a reason. (Hmmm... never checked if it appears on Cal's new comsec.)

It's clearly seperated from the frame, so it most likely moves in some fashion. No model shows any type hardware attached to it, so I would assume it's under the flap itself. If the comsec were atmo-capable, hydraulics would be mounted under it to ensure hinges do not cause uneccessary drag (or overheat and melt).

The more I look at it, the more it looks like aero-brakes.

I'm working on the comsec model for the high-poly frigate, and figured it would help if I actually knew what purpose it served. ;):D

Anyone know the function?

Thanks.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8403 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Need COMSEC experts!
Cals Comsec doesn't have this satellite antenna.
Maybe some kind of heatsink?

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 3 months ago #8409 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Need COMSEC experts!
I don't know... It'd be a strange shape for a heat sink. Usually PS sticks with the 'finned' style (if the model displays one at all)... like the ones at rear of the Dreadnaught.

The more I look at them, the more I think they are aero-brakes... or were meant to be. They're a dark black ceramic color, just like heat shields.

Does anyone know of conclusive evidence that comsecs could not survive atmo?

I'll post this topic at the INA forum. Lot of I-War fans there, and maybe I can get Stephen Robertson's opinion (he'd know [8D]) I think any game info on this will most likely be from I-War, as EoC only featured the 'new and improved' comsec.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 3 months ago #8417 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Need COMSEC experts!
Well, perhaps the comsec is used to land. It does have that shuttle like two toned hull, just as if there were heat shields along the leading edges.

There is one mission in Iwar where one of the curve shaped crew quarters detaches and lands on a planet. As a science mission.

Those little flaps could tip up as some kind of control surface, or very short tail fins. Of course landing would require feet or something.

Anything on the bottom of those comsec models?

-Gtrout

More
20 years 3 months ago #8418 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Need COMSEC experts!
Comsec models appear smooth on the bottom, but there's no telling what could be hidden under a panel. :D But I've given up hopes of seeing one actively maneuver in atmo like a plane. The consensus at the INA is that it does not have the surface area to sustain flight on it's own power... and I have to agree.

At least we know what the flaps are for... they would probably function in a quick drop into a Jovian planet's upper layers if a comsec was attempting to avoid pursuit. And/or would look really cool in a planetary forced-landing/crash sequence.

I'd noticed the dark edges on the front also, but didn't put two and two together until I was half-asleep last night. Definately heat-resistant tiles. I'll texture them with the same surface as the attitude-flaps.

I guess it took building one to really appreciate the ComSec's shape. It's a marvel in simplicity (half a flattened sphere, tapered slightly at the nose) but very elegent in design.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8425 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
or the simpler option, its a segment that helps connect the comsec to a larger ship, something has to move in the process. However, an emergency atmospheric landing equipment might be a possiablity.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310