Machete Freighter

More
20 years 3 months ago #8559 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Machete Freighter
It's a mobile refinery? Whoa, I had no idea that was true. But now that I look at the ship, it makes perfect sense. I was thinking - there is no way this thing is a freighter. Freighters are all hull, no engine. Any idea on the scale? It is way to high poly for Flux, but interesting.

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8563 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Machete Freighter
What? The Nostromo? It's just the tug. In Alien, it towed the refinery behind it. Supposedly, by the time the Nostromo got back to Earth, the refinery would have rendered it's oils into useable fuels. I get the idea that in the 'Alien universe' freighters consist of super-powered tugs that drag modules (like the refinery) around. It makes sense.

Here's the Nostromo hooked to the refinery. It's in the bottom, center of the picture.
http://images.snapfish.com/3398433523232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E232349%3A5%3A9252ot1lsi

Some stats: (courtesy of enc.absoluteavp.com/n.html )

NOSTROMO SPECIFICATIONS
LENGTH - 243.8 m
WIDTH - 164.6 m
HEIGHT - 72.05 m

REFINERY SPECIFICATIONS
LENGTH - 1500 m
WIDTH - 978.7 m
HEIGHT - 880.8 m

SPEED - 0.12 light years per sidereal day (fully laden)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 3 months ago #8580 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Machete Freighter
Shows how little I know. That is a very cool idea. Like a tractor trailer rig, space style. And it explains the 90% engine space of the Nostromo.

-Gtrout