Epic halts development

More
19 years 2 months ago #18379 by GrandpaTrout
There is just too much work to finish in the free time I have to give to the project. Thanks to everyone who lent a hand and contributed ideas into the forum. To those who have waited so long, please accept my apologies. It is a bitter choice after so many hours of work.

There are several pieces of Epic that would enhance a game built around future trader and iFleet. The whole Middle States Cluster comes to mind. Or Save Anywhere. I am looking at releasing these pieces separately. Flamineo’s damage mod is still one of the best pieces of POG code yet written. It just needs some ship changes to make it shine. I would be glad to discuss these pieces with anyone.

The main feature of Epic (and the greatest technical challenge) was the AI to drive all the factions. I still think this is the next step that space sims must take to stay interesting. Epic tried doing to much. A baby step is what is needed. And Flux was never built with custom faction AI in mind. With the closing of Particle Systems, there is no chance of that changing. I am planning on spending some time looking over the list of public domain space sims and seeing if they might better support an Epic style of AI (features like custom C++ objects. Or even data structures.)

If you are a POG coder and need some ideas for solving a problem or two, please ask. I tried many, many features while prototyping things for Epic. Such as: Gravity simulation, destroyable station modules, persistent planning tasks, event driven sound, AI for ship to ship communication, fake objects, system localized player inventory for trade simulation, weapons that shoot ships with custom AI control.

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12481 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Epic halts development
Don't feel bad. You ended up shouldering the burden single-handedly for a long time. [:(] It was an enormous undertaking for a team... especially for a newbie team. For a single person it's just too much.

But it was not for nothing. Flux is better understood now. Geography, heat and power issues, save anywhere, shipmail, trading online, system damage, etc., etc. The list of advancements in modding goes on and on.

Epic opened up EoC modding like nothing else ever did.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12483 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Epic halts development
Thanks Shane. It is easy to feel that not much was done when the end result is not finished. But it is true that modding is more fun than playing. And I spent many pleasant hours saying "wouldn't it be cool if...". (and lots of frustrating ones saying "Damn, why dosen't this work! It should be easy!!")

And thanks for all the good ideas. Looking forward to playing some AV:Tactical.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 2 months ago #12488 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Epic halts development
Sad news GrandpaTrout. Might be a good idea to make an anouncement on the Epic homepage. It does get visited alot.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12489 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Epic halts development
Good point Soup. I plan to do a final release of stuff at the end of April. Those bits that can stand alone. I was planning to defer until that release. Same with an announcement over on INA. Thanks for hosting huge graphics files all these years! Your support has been great.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 2 months ago #12495 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Epic halts development
Terribly sad news indeed. I always was looking forward to seeing the project.

"No game is ever finished; work on the project simply ends."
-very sketchy memory of something I believe Stephen Robertson once said