file crash to desktop only at version 14.6

More
17 years 10 months ago #18794 by Cibo
Hello there

I played EoC during the last year on a xp/sp1 machine. After a clean installation of xp and now sp2 (same machine) EoC only works at Version 10.0.. Patching the game to 14.6, it dosent matter if I start a new game or savegame, even all the options changed (gfx,sfx etc.), it allways crashing to desktop during the loading. Intro is playing fine, menues works fine, sound works.

For me EoC its one of the rare to find "exellent games" and for some reasons I never finished it. Perhaps someone can help fixing this problem or at least give me a hint what could be the reason.

Sys.Specs (never changed):
Board: MSI-K7N2 Delta
CPU : AMD 2500+
RAM : 1GB
GFX : ATI 9800pro
SXF : Audigy2
not overclocked
the game runs without any mod

Thanks for helping

greatings from Leipzig (ger.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #15192 by gwzero
Did you defrag the HDD after you did the clean install? Try defraging your pc and re-installing EOC. Something might have got messed up during the install on account of the HDD being fragmented.

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Cal - "Ya think that'll be enough? I mean we're just going to the store."

Smith - "You know you're right, I'd better mount on some antimatter streams."

<hr noshade size="1">Smith - "12 docking turrets, 15 quadpack launchers, 6 antimatter pbc's, and 2 turret fighters, all mounted on a megafreighter."

Cal - "Ya think that'll be enough? I mean we're just going to the store."

Smith - "You know you're right, I'd better mount on some antimatter streams."

More
17 years 10 months ago #15195 by Cibo
*thanks for reply*
I installed the game several times. After defrag HDD too.
During the last weeks (after clean xp install) I also changed some drivers and made some changes but allways with the same result for EoC. That means no differences.

cibo

More
17 years 10 months ago #15196 by Shane
Are you trying to load up an older save from your previous installation? Or starting a new game?

Try this:

Start EoC and wait for the crash.

Then navigate to the flux.log in your main EoC directory. Open it and scroll down towards the bottom to see if the game printed any error messages before it crashed.

It's worth a shot... might tell us exactly what was being loaded when the crash occurs.

More
17 years 10 months ago #15198 by GrandpaTrout
German version of windows? I seem to remember some bug related to comma instead of period. Perhaps a search of the forums will show it. There is another possible but with the 14.6 patch. I think you remove a directory called image/planets to remove some incorrect texture files that caused some systems trouble.

More
17 years 10 months ago #15202 by SoupDragon
This may help.

German game issue:

EOC GERMAN LANGUAGE : Some features from a future graphics upgrade for the game accidentally made it into the latest patch. This didn't cause any problems when the patch was tested, but it seems that on some user's setups it can cause problems.

To fix it simply delete the following folder from the game:

<install folder>\resource\images\planets

This will disable the feature that's causing the problem.