Weird graphics

More
19 years 7 months ago #18238 by limdul
Weird graphics was created by limdul
Hello all!
I wonder if this community is still alive, but you're my only hope anyway. =)
Well - I have strange problems with I-War2. I think these may be the same problems described in the "Screen tearing with DX9" topic. www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1744
That is - all the in-game polygons flicker constantly and the graphics are generally screwed up. I might post some images, but they would be similar to those already posted in the above mentioned topic.
I'm running a Win2K on an Athlon 2400+, 512RAM and a GeForceFX 6800GT (256MB). DX Version is 9c.
Anyone knows a solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11579 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Weird graphics
Before we start suspecting 9c or the graphic card itself you should check all the other possibilities first.

Have you changed or modified your system in any way recently?
Did you have an ATI card in your system before installing the GForce?

Do you have the correct mainboard (especially AGP) drivers installed (depending on board type, Via 4in1 or nForce, ect.). Are you running at 2x, 4x, or 8x AGP? What IRQ No. is your graphic card running on?

Can you run through a graphic preformance test like futuremark's 3DMark2003 without any problems?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11581 by limdul
Replied by limdul on topic Weird graphics
Well - I'm not quite a computer-newbie, you know. But anyway - I'll answer your questions if it helps.

Modified system? - Nope (had a fresh install recently)
ATI card? - Nope - and it wouldn't matter anyway - see above mentioned point =)
Correct mainboard drivers installed? - Of course - even tried different versions. Currently running nForce 5.10 drivers. (Mainboard model: Abit NF7-S)
AGP 8x? - Yep - all set up in the BIOS and drivers.
IRQ? 19
Performance tests run? - Yep - all smooth. And other games run perfectly, too.

Ah - forgot to say - I'm running Win2K, maybe this is an important piece of information, too.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11582 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Weird graphics
I don't know much about Win2K but... theoretically:

Since you have your graphic card on IRQ 19 you must be running in APIC mode. Some nForce motherboards can't appy APIC effeciently. I dunno if IWar2 works well in that mode or not, or if it has any affect at all (Iwar2 was designed for Win98 which doesn't support APIC), so it's just a guess but that could be a problem.

Since you are not a newbie, It might be worth the effort to change the ACPI mode in your control panel and then when you reboot disable APIC mode in your BIOS. (I wouldn't recomend messing around with that to anyone who isn't really experienced).

To see if that has any effect you could check (before and after the change): What does your flux.ini (in your Edge of Chaos directory) say about the Video driver? Thats near the top of the flux.ini at the bottom of the section [FcGame].
Also, check the flux.log to see if you have any thing that looks odd in the Video setup at game start.

I dunno of anyone else who has 6800GT and DX9c installed so I can't compare or recommend anything else.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11583 by limdul
Replied by limdul on topic Weird graphics
Nah - disabling ACPI is a bit too risky for me and reports about potential compatibility improvements say that this rarely is the sole cause of any occuring problems.
But both the Flux.ini and the Flux.log seem interesting. =) Shall I post the log? What I could do as well is trying to revert to DX7 or 8. Maybe this would help. Nevertheless this would still be a very annoying and basically one-game solution. (Though I really have no problems with other games as stated before)

Update: OK - here we go. We can assume that it's NOT a DX problem as I rolled back to DX 8.0a (exactly the same version found on the I-War 2 CD) and it didn't help a bit. So what remains are the drivers or the 6800GT itself.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11584 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic Weird graphics
My money's on V-Sync, Graphics card options will be ON, OFF, and set by application. Set it to application and turn it off in I-War options.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>