ship control issues

More
20 years 4 months ago #17866 by Polarax
ship control issues was created by Polarax
This might be a stupid question, but I can't seem to move the ship up/down. I can speed it up (W), slow it down (S), move left (A) or right (D), but I can't move up or down. This is really driving me nuts because I can't seem to hit the powerfeeds in the assulting the Marauder HQ mission. Another mission where I had to hit a specific part of a ship, I just kept slamming into it and somehow the power feeds broke. But I've had no such luck this time.

Is there some key I just don't know about, or is this part of the game design? If so are there any tricks to aim the weapon at a specific location?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8151 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic ship control issues
There are no thrust-override keys other than W,S,A,D. However, if you use a joystick with a twist function (which controls the roll of the craft) you can roll 90 degrees and then use either the A or D keys to move about.

When I first started EoC I practiced with the controls (near stations and cargo pods while waiting for Jafs to get done) until I was able to move about with ease.

[Zen] After a time it becomes second nature and the ship becomes something of an extention of yourself... you automatically direct it without thinking about it. [/Zen]

This helps greatly in the missions where you cannot automatically target your...uh, target. :)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 4 months ago #8152 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic ship control issues
I use the keys "v" to move up and "b" for down.

For that, I edited default.ini in the config folder (don't confuse it with defaults.ini in the EOC folder) has this

[icPlayerPilot.LateralY]
Keyboard, V
Keyboard, B, inverse

I don't remember if LateralY is in the original default.ini or not.
If so, then I think it was some impossible combination of ALT and one of the joystick axis

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 4 months ago #8153 by Polarax
Replied by Polarax on topic ship control issues
Thanks a lot. I have the v/b settings now, and they help so much! Its a breeze to cut away the power supply now, I just have to kill the Mass carrier :p

More
20 years 4 months ago #8165 by Demiurgo
Replied by Demiurgo on topic ship control issues

Originally posted by MajorTom

I use the keys "v" to move up and "b" for down.

For that, I edited default.ini in the config folder (don't confuse it with defaults.ini in the EOC folder) has this

[icPlayerPilot.LateralY]
Keyboard, V
Keyboard, B, inverse

There's other way. The in-game default controls let you to "strafe up and down" using the combination of ALT+(direction).
I mean: if you use Joystick use ALT+(move the joystick down) to move the ship down, exactly as you dou with A or D.

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran