EpicOnline: .ini files corrupted - MP crashes

More
19 years 7 months ago #11594 by wigg7es
Sorry, should have mentioned that I'd already tried all the things you'd mentioned in another post. Ships been selected and I tried it with the firewall off, neither of these things helped.
Did a fresh install with no mods at all and I still had the same problem, so it isn't an issue with your mod.

I am hoping that Tech Support can help. Not even sure if they still support the game though.

Thanks for trying, if you've got any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11596 by MajorTom
Have you tried running dxdiag and see if DirectPlay8 is ok on your system?

Some firewalls even if they are turned off still prevent connections, meaning you'll still have to open the ports manually even if it is turned off.
A fairly easy way to check would be to install a loopback adapter and then set your Firewall to accept everything from and to that adapter.

Just to be sure: You do know, you have to be conneced to the internet, or in a LAN or using a loopback to run the MP application?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11600 by wigg7es
The DirectPlay8 stuff all seems to be "OK"

There is this line though:
DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider: D-Link Dial-Up PPP Connection - IPv4 -

The "-" at the end with nothing following looks wierd, as if something's missing...

I just use the inbuilt XP firewall so when it's disabled, I'm pretty sure that most ports are open. What are the particular ports anyhow? I'll try opening them manually.

Thanks for helping.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11601 by MajorTom
I think you're right about the XP firewall, but you'll find a link to information about the firewall ports on the Joining and Hosting page of my site.

I dunno about your -IPv4-
My (German version) of Dxdiag shows a dpnet.dll as "OK" without any reference to the IP version. I do have IPv6 installed now but ran the MP game on earlier versions too. However I've always ran the game on ISDN or DSL. (You won't have much preformance with this game on a 56k analog dial-in.)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site