Gold Rush - Starting out

More
20 years 4 months ago #17865 by jumbo
I think the installation went ok.

I do the load out, remembering to buy flairs, mining charges and a mining laser. I get a tip or buy a scan, and hire 'roid driod. BTW if I save after buying the droid I lose it after reload the game.

The a set off to the field fire my flair and nothing is found, I try another field and keep going until I run out of flairs, but I never find any minable 'roids. Also my droid doesn't follow me into LDS. I have to dock with it and tow it, which messes up the flitters CofG and rotational inertia enough to give the autopilot a headache.

Having used all my flairs, I decide to try out my mining charges but they dont break up the 'roids. When I run out of mining charges, I try ramming the 'roids. Which does not break them even if I use LDS for more speed in fact I quite often pop straight through them at >1000m/s.

I am getting a little disheartened can Eric or anyone help?

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8133 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic Gold Rush - Starting out
The save thing is common, it bugs hell out of me as well. The droid should follow you if you order it to defend you. I think the key is '2'. Its in the manual. A tip can be dud, but if your flying around blind you should still turn up at least one minable rock before you run out of flares.

Non-mineable rocks are never breakable. Ramming never breaks anything. Except your ship.

You probably have some kind of glitched installation. GR is a scenario mod so it should be unaffected by other mods, but some of them change files outside the mod folder. Or one of the files in the mod is corrupted. A fresh install into a clean, patched, copy of EoC would probably fix it.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8134 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Gold Rush - Starting out

BTW if I save after buying the droid I lose it after reload the game.

This was done deliberately. A drone (or hired processor) will only stay with you during the current play of the game. Otherwise, you could just always hire the most expensive drone and just keep him until he runs out.

Also my droid doesn't follow me into LDS.

Are you remembering to use wingman commands? Try hitting the command for the wingman to defend/follow you ('2' is the button on the keyboard, I believe).

I try another field and keep going until I run out of flairs, but I never find any minable 'roids

Did you try buying a new tip or scan? Or did you just fly randomly to new fields? If a tip or scan leads you to an empty field (and it will happen) I suggest going back to base and buying a new tip/scan (maybe go a little more expensive this time). I have to warn you, going to fields without following a tip or scan there, there is only a very small chance of finding anything at all.

Having used all my flairs, I decide to try out my mining charges but they dont break up the 'roids.

If you run out of flares, you really just need to go back to base for more. Don't waste your mining charges until the flare successfully identifies a minable roid. The charges will do nothing unless the roid is a minable one, and randomly hoping to hit one that is minable is a terrible way to gamble. You'll probably become a millionare in Vegas first.

When I run out of mining charges, I try ramming the 'roids. Which does not break them even if I use LDS for more speed in fact I quite often pop straight through them at >1000m/s.

I should probably mention that the stuff in the manual about running into stuff is mostly just a joke.[:o)] Don't you feel embarrased; I told you to ram your ship into a bunch of rocks and you did.

Just hang in there. Keep if you keep buying scans, you're bound to find some good ore soon.:)

[edit]
I really need to stop watching tv and doing other stuff while I am writing a post. People always tend to write responses during the great length of time that I am formulating mine.
[/edit]

More
20 years 4 months ago #8136 by jumbo
Replied by jumbo on topic Gold Rush - Starting out
Thanks for the help... felt like I was banging my head against an asteroid for a while there.

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>