resource/geog/*/*.map

More
21 years 6 months ago #3354 by X00101010X
Replied by X00101010X on topic resource/geog/*/*.map
I'm aware that you guys (particle systems) never did and haven't had time to create a geography SDK. However, from the ina in the 'Geography SDK, Will it Happen?' thread, they've almost finished it. The .map file has been decoded and it seems tech2kjason still expects to release his home-brew SDK on November 15th.
Remember, you yourself gave a lot of the clues that helped move it along. The "...tool that I'd have given almost anything for during development!" should be ready soon.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

D O N T P A N I C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 6 months ago #3355 by X00101010X
Ahem... not that i knew any of that when i first posted my question here. One of the big things that seems to make it easier is that it was reverse engineered from the .map files.
Where Particle Systems had to build the .map's through some sort of build process based on an access database with lots of extra information, the reverse engineers just had to worry about was the data in the final version of the files which the game uses. much simpler.
I mean, i could write a tool for simple editing of clusters using C++ and shockwave (easy for 3D) in a week if i could spend 4-6hrs a day on it (although i'm sure tech2kjason's will be much nicer than anything i'd hack out). And I didn't even know anything about the format of .map files 2 weeks ago.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

D O N T P A N I C

More
19 years 6 months ago #11912 by X00101010X
Hey! I just quit my job in the game industry and moved to seattle where I can live off a dumb 30 hr/wk minimum wage job, which leaves time for lots of fun coding! Anybody still interested in a sweet 3D EOC map editor? Since my last post here, I've learned a few more tricks in shockwave and how to write Xtras using C++. Or is it dead, and I should only do it if it's worth it just for myself?

D O N T P A N I C

More
19 years 6 months ago #11916 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic resource/geog/*/*.map
You could do it just for fun. But there aren't many people who build maps around here. And making them is already a breeze with GrandpaTrout's geogSDK. I've done a basic Sol system myself, as well. You can see the Earth here:

www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1734

along with a dopey argument about "The Moon". I was working on an interactice (but not graphical) map editor that would also write the Lightwave scene file that goes with it for you, but I've got too many irons in the fire right now. And lack of community interest put it low on the list. If you would like to integrate that Lightwave feature into your editor, you can look here for an explanation of everything you should need to generate the file:

www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1439

The most recent five or six threads on this forum also have mostly to do with geography, and might be helpful to look at. But there's no need to reinvent the wheel. GrandpaTrout and mdValley have pretty much cracked the .map file wide open, and GrandpaTrout has included the source code for his map compiler in the geogSDK.

This old post might be useful as well:

www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1746

Unheard Of was also working on putting together a graphical map editor. Here's his original post:

www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1556

I hope all this stuff is useful. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Maybe more people would get into map creation if it were point-and-click.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 6 months ago #11919 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic resource/geog/*/*.map
I'll probably be jumping back into EoC modding sometime this winter. When I do, I would find a graphical editor very helpful. That makes at least one potential user besides yourself. :)

BTW, since you've moved to Seattle, you may be interested in knowing that the reason I've been too busy to mod lately is because I am a member of the University of Washington Husky Marching Band. You should come to some of the football games next year and watch the band (yay for shameless advertisement).

More
19 years 4 months ago #12086 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic resource/geog/*/*.map
Yes, there would be several users for a graphical map builder. If have any questions or need any help, please ask.

-Gtrout