Creating new star systems...

More
19 years 9 months ago #11420 by cambragol
I believe there is another element to the positioning of the background nebula. As I recall, the 'top' and 'bottom' images must also be rotated 180 degrees in order to show up properly. I did a similar test long ago, but I simply created images with huge numbers in the middle, corresponding to the number of the image. My 180degree flip might be a consequence of the way I prep the final images however...
Also, you will still get lines at the borders of the images, unless the colors on either side of the border are exactly the same. There is a way around this that I discovered, but it is complicated and only necessary if you want PERFECTLY aligned background images. The problem stems from the fact that the edges of the 3D cube, within whose inner surfaces the nebula images are placed, overlap, through each other. As well, the overlap falls within a pixel, rather than between two, when referred back to the 2D nebula image surfaces.

If you are still having problems with new nebula show up, Vladimir, try this. The lightwave setup file for any system contains a reference to the nebula of the same name. Hoffers Wake for example:

AddNullObject <node class=icNebulaAvatar url=model||models|hoffers_wake_nebula>

This refers to the .pso file 'hoffers_wake_nebula.pso' in the models folder, and not to any of the .ftu or .ftc files. We can't change the .pso file, but at least we know what IT is referencing. It is referencing the ftu and ftc files, or in our case our .iff files. So the easiest way to set up new nebula is to simply keep the name 'hoffers_wake_nebula' naming convention for each of the .iff files, and then sequester the files in their own directories.

For Epic, I set it up like this:

AddNullObject <node class=icNebulaAvatar url=model||models|farnorth|epic>

Within the farnorth folder are the six images for the background nebula, named hoffers_wake_nebula_1 etc as well as a final .pso called 'epic.pso'. This epic pso is simply the original hoffers_wake_nebula.pso file, renamed.
So as long as you keep all your similarly named hoffers_wake_nebula files separated in their own folders, it doesn't matter that they all have the same name. It only matters where they are.

Cambragol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11421 by Vladimir
Hi, cambragol.
I have no trouble with the backround nebulaes anymore. I use the same method you suggested. Now I have to get the asteroid belts work correctly. I´m using this line in .csv file:
Belt,Scylla,Alpha,200000000000,0,0,1,0,0,0,200000000000,5,
The asteroids show up but it´s more like a small cloud of asteroids, nothing like the massive belts in Hoffers Wake and other systems. Has anyone idea what the last number (Model) in the line actually does?

"Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make history"

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11426 by Second Chance
Clever workaround for adding new background textures while still keeping the old ones, cambrogol. Good out-of-the-box thinking.

What was the verdict on the texture orientation? Anything unusual? Or were they just straight-up straight up?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4