I wanna mod this game!

More
19 years 3 months ago #12229 by Second Chance
Sounds like you're enjoying yourself. :) Keep at it.

I'll save you a lot of disappointment though, don't bother looking at SFC models for this game. They won't be compatible without a lot of work. Any conversion into Lightwave (which is necessary to run the models through the PSO converter) will leave them with no textures. All texturing for this game must be done in Lightwave. There is absolutely no way around this. And just forget about bump-mapping. Using Lightwave was probably not the best design desision for a game that was supposed to be moddable, but there it is. You'd have less trouble getting Klingon Academy models into the game. There's 8 tons of useless info bulking out those model files, but at least they're in the correct Lightwave format. Check out the 3D modeling section of the forums for more info.

But other than models, modding is a breeze for this game. And the POG scripting language will let you mod the game to bejesus and back. Have fun. :)

btw - I believe Hemp Monkey and someone else found a way to make tracking beam weapons. So you might look into that in the Mods and Pog Scripting forum.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12240 by BlasterMaster555
I was playing with the "tracking beam" and I fixed the problem of "multiplying beams". You have to crank up the weapon speed a lot, and lower the time it's "alive". Unfortunately, with the increase in speed comes the increase in kinetic effect. The ship tends to fly away at km/sec. when you hit it. This got me thinking. I bet that could be used for the "Species 8472" BioShip weapon, which is super powerful and has a nasty kinetic effect. If you watched the Voyager 2-parter with 8472, they rip through a Borg Cube in one shot, and Voyager gets a major kick in the arse from the BioShip and flies out of control.

All power to the engines!!!

More
19 years 3 months ago #12242 by Second Chance
I've honestly never looked at Hemp Monkeys solution, so I don't know what problems it has beyond the obvious. Personally, I think a better way to attempt tracking beam weapons would be to equip a turret fighter with a normal beam weapon and Pog it to be incapable of undocking. A normal beam weapon should work fine on a turret fighter since it is it's own ship, and as a turret of another ship it should track enemies fine as well. If you don't like the turret fighter avatar just point it to a blank .lws scene. I've never gotten around to testing this myself though, so I can't guarantee it would work.

Soup Dragon: How about moving this thread into the mods section.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 3 months ago #12244 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic I wanna mod this game!
Try cutting the mass of the shot down, that should cut the kickback effect.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12291 by BlasterMaster555
Set it to loke 0.000000000000000000000001 but it doesn't affect it. Apparently flux has a lower limit on small numbers...

BTW I loaded a few KA ships into LightWave, but I need some textures from KA. Since I can't find KA anywhere, I could use some textures from the "Textures" folder, if someone is willing to give me a hand with it...

...I wanna first get a D12 Bird of Prey into the game (without that blasted defective cloaking device :P) and see how it works...

More
19 years 3 months ago #12304 by BlasterMaster555
Well, I found a ship that has all of it's own textures. Believe it or not, it's a Romulan Warbird!

Now, I don't expect Cal to fly such a huge ship, but I can replace a Cruiser or a Carrier with the Warbird...