Creating ini's

More
20 years 2 months ago #17954 by Bias Virus
Creating ini's was created by Bias Virus
I'm new to the modding of Edge of Chaos and only know what I have tought myself from editing the files in the resources folder. I figured out how to edited the attributes of the weapons and also how to edit and place shipsin the game for my own use. However this is very limited to me as I don't fully understand how the Ini's for the ships and weapons are built up and what info is requirded in them to do different things. Also the setup files for the ships and weapons are quiet strange and I can only change the colour of the nav lights of the ships and don't understand the rest of it. My question about all of this is, does anyone know where I might find some documents on how these file work and how to use them to do some more advanced modding, because I found some SDK's on this website but cannot use them because if I try to open the documents that explain all this, they are just blank.[:(]
Can anyone help me.

P.S Can anyone tell me how to edit the weapon name displayed in the game for the weapons, I tryed to find the weapon names in the text files but I could only find the cargo names.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8909 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Creating ini's
Unzip the Grafik SDK and look for the file "sim_and_subsim_creation". It is in .rtf format and you can open it with Word or MS-Word Pad.

That explains all the ini values for the different types (classes) of weapons ect.

According to the current "mod Guidelines" agreement: To change a weapons name you should edit in a new cargo name in the weapons ini file and add a new text file that corresponds to that cargo name. Then have that text file activated by a little script in your mod.

If you are going to distribute or release your mod for others use, thats the only way to insure multi-language compatibility and not screw up the names of weapons in other peoples mods.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8910 by Bias Virus
Replied by Bias Virus on topic Creating ini's
Thanxs for the help MajorTom I tried downloading it again and it worked this time there was stuff in the file. I think There might have been something wrong with my old office too, I was running 97, But I upgraded to 2000. Buy the way Im getting lightwave from a friend, but it's version 6, and I know that Edge of Chaos only runs version 5.6 models. I was wandering if it is possible to some how save the moddels in 5.6 format with version 6 so that it will work in the game. (Like some kind of file converter for lightwave files)

Thanxs for any help you could provide.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8911 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Creating ini's
I dunno about lightwave.

Shane should be along soon, though.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8912 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Creating ini's
I've heard a conversion from LW version 6.0 to LW 5.6 will still encounter problems with textures, but have never tested it myself.

Just stick to projected textures (planar, cubic, cylindrical, etc.) and stay away from UV maps. Then give it a shot. If it does not work, someone here can always reapply the textures in 5.6 and it should be fine.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 2 months ago #8915 by Bias Virus
Replied by Bias Virus on topic Creating ini's
Yeah thanxs I'll do that, but I think I'll be playing around with lightwave for a While before I start doing anything serious.