Gunstars = Pain in arse

More
21 years 9 months ago #17444 by Tarin
A'ight, it's simple enough, I'm still in act one desperately trying not to die recovering the Gunstars for Hoffer's Gap. Every time I can manage reaching the first one (getting shot at, but just minor damage) but the second one fries my ship every time. Timing seems to have very little to do with it since I'm leaving literally AS the power fades out and still being reduced to spacejunk... what the heck is up with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2250 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Gunstars = Pain in arse
Tarin, the following is taken from the FAQ:

Act 1 - Mission 6 - The Trouble With Gunstars
Q. I´m more or less stuck in this mission. I´ve made it more than one time to deactivate 5 of them. But the 6th kills me then - or I´m killed sooner. So what can I do to accomplish that mission?

Option 1. If you've deactivated 5, then the last one should be pretty easy. Stand off from it just outside its gun range while you auto-repair to full strength. Then wait 'till it's offline, and use manual thrust override to get in behind it and activate the docking autopilot at the last moment to dock.

Option 2. The trick is to dock AFTER you have passed the Gunstar. Say for the first one, you target the one in front of your ship, then wait until the Gunstar turns yellow.
Hit U to undock then hit the W key heading towards the Gunstar. Sail 2 km past the Gunstar then hit F8 to dock. You should be able to dock safely, and wait for your shield to recharge. Now since you dock at the OTHER side of the gunstar, you will not be hit (one user reports that he was hit while docking, true, but I think he docks on the wrong side of the gunstar).

Option 3. Stay docked to the station and just take in the pattern of the power failures. You will notice that they all arm and then one by one go offline until they are all offline and then repeat (and rinse if needed). Just before they all go offline undock (this give an extra few seconds), use W to accelerate, let go of W when you about 1/2 to 3/4 way there, swing behind the gunstar (ie make the gun star between you and the station). Engage auto dock. Select the next gun star and wait till they're nearly all offline, Fly towards that one and do the same. You might want to fire a disruptor at it, just in case it comes online again. Repeat the above, make sure you're fully repaired before you zot off again. If you get hit while docking to a GS push the joystick up, it seems to work! Dunno why.

Q. How can I disable the gunstars around the abandoned FTL station?

A. Go for a gunstar just as it's turning off, and boost towards it using thruster override. The docking port is on the rear of the gunstar. When you've docked stay there until you're fully repaired, then choose your moment and thrust towards the next gunstar. Disrupters are very useful in this mission if you have them, as you can disrupt the gunstars to prevent them firing on you.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2251 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Gunstars = Pain in arse
And make sure you've installed the EoC patch! I speak from bitter experience on this...

More
21 years 9 months ago #2263 by Stephen Robertson PS
This mission is a lot easier if you've upgraded your shields and auto-repair.

If you've got trades for either or both of these outstanding, then it's worth your while getting them.

Also get the EOC Patch 2, as I altered the timing of this mission to make it easier.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Particle Systems
Independence War Website

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2267 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Gunstars = Pain in arse
Did I ever say thanks, Mr. Robertson? Thanks, thanks, thanks. That mission (before I installed the patch) had me banging my head into a wall. Really difficult. I literally spent days trying to get through it. The closest I ever got was down to two gunstars left before being wiped out.

What I would like to know is: has anyone ever completed this mission unpatched?

More
21 years 9 months ago #2275 by Stephen Robertson PS
You mean apart from me? :)

Yes quite a few people have - some users completed the entire game before we released Patch 2.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Particle Systems
Independence War Website

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.