Junkyard Stealth mission for Fuel Rods

More
18 years 5 months ago #18617 by Mklangelo

I've tried this one about 6 times. I auto-approach from my base then disengage autopilot at about 80 Km from the Reactor. I then disengage Flight Assist and point the Petrel at the Reactor, just tapping the thrusters enough to approach at about 400 M/second, usually a very small burst, less than a second. When I'm pretty close, (I don't remember how close exactly, I auto-dock. I always get caught. I'm approaching as one post suggested with the Petrel, the Reactor and the Junkyard in a straight line and in that order.

I've also tried approaching the Reactor from such an angle that the majority of the ships are positioned on the opposite side of the Reactor from me...

Any ideas on this one? Once I got caught just prior to docking with the Reactor and managed to escape and return for another attempt but would up dead.

Any help is appreciated!

If everyone is special, then nobody is special...

Dammit Cal...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14042 by Shane
It's a timed thing. The ships patrolling the Junker's station area move in a pattern. You have to approach and dock exactly at the time when the patrol ships are furthest from the reactor core.

However, I've had just as much luck blazing in at full speed and hitting autodock when I get within 15 km of the core. They'll detect you as you get the rods on board, just be ready to hit undock and run like hell.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it beats sneaking around all the time. ;)

If all else fails, there's a save game in the downloads section which will get you past it.

Good luck!

More
18 years 5 months ago #14047 by andrewas
As with all stealth missions, detection is based on range and range only. Just pay attention to the course of the enemy groups, try to keep out of their way, and you wont get caught until your ready to go. When you do go, full power to engines and they wont so much as touch you.

Or .. you can fight through this one. Ive almost done it once. Ran into the reactor at 2.5KM/s while moving to attack the last interceptor. I dont know if the mission will count that as success, though.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14049 by Mklangelo
I used a bit less finesse this time. Just came out of LDS about 80Km out and waited until the ships were moving away from the Reactor. I don't think they ever get more than 5 Km away from it though. Got out with only one hit on me.

:D

If everyone is special, then nobody is special...

Dammit Cal...