Comments on JET's weapons formulas

More
21 years 9 months ago #17479 by TCPIP
I'm trying to work out which is the most effetive weapon:
First thing I notice is that (using Jet's formulas on this site) is that anything with 100 armour more than a weapon's penetration will not be touched by that weapon. This implies that the armour of all ships must be less than 150 otherwise a PBC wouldn't scratch it.

If you then calculate the damage rate, the Quad Lite comes miles out on top for all armour <~130.

For instance: against armour 50 at a range of 1.2km,
Quad 733 hp/sec
Rapid PBC 533
PBC 229
Assault 1067
Heavy 208
Neutron 333
Antimatter 467
Gattling 1333

Only at ranges > 2km does the Quad fall short of the rapid PBC, but it's still twice as effective as PBC/Cyro/targetter/wide/pulse against all armours <~130. Since I always fire at max weapon energy this equates to 3km.

This doesn't seem right.... any comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2378 by SoupDragon
Hi TCPIP. Don't you just love algorithms. Jet, (who sadly has not been around for many months) compiled this some three months into the launch of EoC.

How he did this, is a mystery (well at least to me) but in practise appears to be sound. I do know that he used practical testing to enforce his solution, and you are the first to ever raise the question.

As to whether it's right; mathematically I couldn't say but it does seem to bear out when in action.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2382 by TCPIP
Hello Soupdragon,

It's the curse of being a mathematician!

I've had a look in resources.zip, and I agree with the formulas... some of the arithmetic on the page is off, and the formulas over-complicated... but it gets the job.

The maximum armour appears to be 80 for a heavy cruiser, so Quad Lite beats most weapons hands down. (It does feel like that in the game) Just seems silly I can't use all those hard points for something better (bare some of the more souped up weapons for long range).

Enjoying EoC, and I've found your site to be an excellent resource. (Pat yourself on the back...)

Regarding your news on the front page, re anything missing from site, you might want to add somewhere that those (like me) that bought the budget version recently released still need to download F14.6. The release version is F10.0 (F8.0 in the readme!)

And please can I have some more blue-string pudding.

TCPIP

More
21 years 9 months ago #2384 by Pandion

the budget version recently released still need to download F14.6. The release version is F10.0 (F8.0 in the readme!)

And please can I have some more blue-string pudding.

TCPIP

I wonder if Steven has been told about this?

Give it a good bang.....

See I told you that would fix it.

Give it a good bang.....

See I told you that would fix it.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2390 by EricMan64

I wonder if Steven has been told about this?

Particle Systems didn't have anything to do with it. It's Infogrames that's too dumb to put in the patch. I think F10 was the version in the orriginal US release. It is a budget release so they probably just took the files from that release without touching anything.

More
21 years 9 months ago #2393 by SoupDragon
If I remember right. Version 8 was the demo release.