Oh, my...

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20424 by Bozobub
Oh, my... was created by Bozobub
I remember liking IWar 2 already, graphics-wise, except for some artifact flickering I tend to get on ship modules/pods sometimes (nVidia driver weirdness and a buggy nVidia laptop graphics chipset that I also overclock ridiculously :P woo!) but, DAMN, this game looks good on the super-cheapo ("Sceptre"? heh) 42" 1080p TV/monitor I just nabbed! Nothing like a meter-and-a-third diagonal of explode-y goodness, even if the panel is about as simple and un-"smart" as they get. *shrug* I use it attached to a laptop anyhow, who needs a smart monitor? lol

Good Karma for helping my dad pick up a mint Honda 90, I guess; I picked up this display for $100 from the same guy.

[non sequitur]Google Honda 90s, they're REALLY cool little vintage 90cc, 4-stroke, true road/dirt bikes, that look like a little motor scooter but have standard transmission (with an entire low range for climbing steep hills!). The hubs also were, like some Russian bikes I've seen, containers for fuel/water, if you like, and also make it float if you end up in a lake or river :lol:. I'm SO jealous![/non sequitur]

But hey, I can play IWar 2 in style, without dropping $300 or so, weyhey! And the panel, while "dumb", is also otherwise pretty decent.

Glad to see this forum still alive; you guys helped make my week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20425 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Oh, my...
Actually, I bought my 40" TV screen *because* it's dumb. I don't like my TV spying on me, which is what smart TVs do.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20428 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Oh, my...
We have an ancient TV screen that predates 1080p. We thought it was so cool that it wasn't a CRT! :lol: We use it to watch movies as a family or play Gran Turismo 5 on my brother's PS3, but we've seen a grand total of 1 TV broadcast on it. If we want to watch a TV show, we get it on DVD.
But yeah, every time I play I-War 2 I think "not as shiny as ED, not as techy as SC, but somehow it still looks stunning!" :cheer:
Also, that flickering you mentioned may be simple z-fighting, which I-War 2 suffers from a lot.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20430 by Bozobub
Replied by Bozobub on topic Oh, my...
Some of it, yes, but my last desktop PC didn't have the issue at all, or at least very rarely, running a 550 Ti, compared to the known-super-buggy 360M in my laptop.

The nVidia 300-series mobile cards were pretty much all crap, due to SEVERAL nasty bugs. For example, after any reboot, if I try to run any graphics-intensive software, the card rapidly heats to failsafe temps and shuts the PC down. But if I 1st change the GPU and VRAM clocks (up or down, and even if I return them immediately to the original state) then the temps suddenly fall to normal values and stay there; I can even overclock the card quite a bit at that point, no problems. Seriously, WTF?

I'm lucky I figured out how to get it to work, I guess *shrug* .