How did you discover the I-War game(s)?

More
8 years 5 months ago #19996 by 7upMan
I think we had this conversation already, and not too long ago. Or was that in the Steam forum? Anyway, I remember that I had bought I-War 1 on release and loved it, despite it being so frustratingly hard.

I-War 2, however, was a whole different beast. Initially, I was quite hyped for the game, but before I bought it I wanted to give its demo version a spin. And what can I say: I didn't like it at all. Nothing about this game touched me, nothing at all. Only many many years later, when both games were released on GOG.com, I decided to buy it and try it out for myself.

And what can I say: I really liked it a lot! Granted, the game is full of design flaws and could have easily been better and WAY more successful (they sold like 50k copies, compared to 350k for I-War 1), but it's still beautiful and really not bad once you get the hang of it.

In the end, while I don't play it very often, I do love to get my tug out for a spin or to kill a few pirates/marauders here and there, just to give poor old Jafs something to do. ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19997 by schmatzler

7upMan wrote: I think we had this conversation already, and not too long ago.

We did. Threads merged. B)

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19998 by Thovian
Sorry about that! I didn't see this thread xD.

I enjoyed the game on a deeper level when I learned how to modify it. I would spend hours unpacking and repacking the Resource zip and giving all my missiles antimatter properties, then doing all sorts of others ridiculous things.

More
8 years 1 week ago #20155 by Detritus
I'm assuming that even though the last post was almost a half year ago this thread is just waiting for someone to post in it.

So

I never 'found' this game. Me older brother, shall we say, made me want to play it. Nothing telepathic or anything, let's get that straight right away. Don't know when it started exactly, just one day I found myself playing it as if I was taken control of telepathically. Again I say, my it wasn't actually telepathic, let's keep that straight. And as of late I've found myself jumping into instant action a bit, shooting reds, shooting blues when the reds aren't enough, shooting browns (asteroids) when the next wave takes a bit (aka the supply vessel came but I forgot I had missiles (or lack thereof) and left it alone, to go mining with neutron PBCs!)

I couldn't find a 'hi! I'm new!' thread, so meh, I'll just sorta... blend in. Hope you don't mind my advanced patcom sitting on that port with the heavy corvette, all the dock ports were full (again, dang it)

Hope to get to meet you all!
--Detritus

More
8 years 1 week ago #20157 by 7upMan
Hi Detritus, and welcome to the forums! You don't happen to have taken your name from the novel series of a very famous British writer who has passed away recently?

More
8 years 1 week ago #20158 by Detritus
No, actually, I got it from Elite: Dangerous, which I'm assuming you've heard of, perhaps even play. I was watching my brother play it, before I chose whether I want to play it or not, and one of the NPCs was named 'Detritus'. So I thought meh, that name works.

I've never heard of any British writer who has passed away recently though. So the answer there is no.