somthing diffrent then the tug

More
20 years 3 months ago #8459 by UglyAngel
Err, I've done some fact-checking and have to admit to being wrong about the profile of the Corvette.

There is no angle at which a Corvette presents a smaller silhoette than a Tug.

The 'vettes must be harder to hit simply because of their superior thrust-weight ratio, or perhaps they have better combat piloting AI. I did a side-by-side, angle-by-angle comparison of a Tug with a 'vette, and the only difference in profile is the 'vette's longer fuselage.

That's not to say the tug couldn't have a better profile. If it were shaped like a PatCom ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago #9457 by midget_man1993
tugs weakness is to shoot it with a QUAD LIGHT PBC

More
19 years 11 months ago #9690 by RHTG
Replied by RHTG on topic somthing diffrent then the tug
Tugs! A-Pats! Bah! Heavy Corvette - twin Gattlings; you just have to look in the general direction of the badguys and they vaporize - but wait! Theres them handy-dandy meson PBCs for when you've gone through three or four Maas convoys and you've sucked down all your ammo - plus theres the twin Combat shields, for when you've gotten squarely on the wrong side of those Maas fighters.

"You can hedge your bet on a clean Corvette, to get you there right on time"
-Don Felder, "Heavy Metal"

The Original Plan - get into as much trouble as possible, then shoot your way out

The Original Plan - get into as much trouble as possible, then shoot your way out

More
19 years 11 months ago #9823 by RHTG
Replied by RHTG on topic somthing diffrent then the tug
Ok, lemme change slightly that post - I'm still a big fan of the Heavy Corvette, but -
Three gattlings and an Assault Cannon for when (if?) your gattlings run out of ammo. I just look at the badguys and they blow up.
But.....
The A-Pat as a missile-boat is a hell of a thing. I took on a pair of capital ships with an A-Pat armed mostly with tri- and quad- racks - with one of the ships I just sat there and fired Seeker missiles two by two until I was out, then one pass with a pair of Neutron PBCs finished the job.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."
-Bruce Campbell "Army of Darkness"

More
19 years 11 months ago #9825 by andrewas
I prefer to run with dual assaults and dual cutters. Sure, this easts your cargo space, but those gats only have 1000 rounds, and that dosent last long when it hits the fan.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10204 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Guys, Just you wait till you try my Elite mod convesrion. I have made the enemies ships genuinly as strong as yours.

Now this presents a few problems, firstly you have to be rather skilled at the game to complete it.
Also, you have to be intelligent. No 'yeah..i will charge the main guns of that navy heavy cruiser and kill it with smoe gnat rockets'. However, i have made the mod so different ways of thinking all work in their own way. For example...have an advanced patcom with 4 gattling cannons works just as well as the new (and improved but 'heavier') Heavy Corvette with lots of different weapons.

Also, many of the weapons that were previously not used are now worth taking...but the strengths and weaknesses of the various weapons are more distinct. E.g. the Energy requirements of the Neutron PBC's makes Heavy PBC's more preferable in certain siutations.

Also...capital ships are ment to be feared. That early game mission where you are ment to get the fule rods with your tug? yeah, thats just there to kill you lots of times and make sure you understand the concept of RUNNING AWAY FROM CAP SHIPS IF YOU CAN.

Basically...i have made IW2 in to what i think it should of been.

It will be released soon.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310