Preferred developing language

More
7 years 1 month ago #20542 by IronyMan
I understand that it's simpler and easier. I'm teaching myself the basics of programming, that is, what's underneath those boxes in Unity that you drag around. I want to learn the conceptual material behind it all. :side:

Do you know what I mean?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #20543 by IronDuke
Ah, I understand. Go to it then, and more power to you! o7

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 1 month ago #20550 by IronyMan

Chessking wrote: If you need a few tips on the Physics engine, I have already created one with Processing.js on Khan Academy.

Heh, it's neater and smoother than mine. :unsure:

I'm having some difficulty with my rotate to mouse function; when the angle of the ship resets to zero the ship tries to turn the other way to get to the mouse. I think it's a result of my clumsy coding. I'll need to write an exception to account for zero.

Or maybe rewrite the whole thing to rely on absolute differences instead of the concrete angles... :blink:

In the meantime, I need to finish my Alg 2 course. :angry: Maybe when I actually know how to do basic math I'll be able to solve simple problems like this easily.

More
7 years 1 month ago #20551 by Chessking
Is your project on Khan Academy? I would like to see exactly what you are talking about. I have an idea of what the problem is, but I can't be sure.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 1 month ago #20552 by IronyMan
Here it is. Still very rough, has a lot of problems. I don't have much time to work on it.

I tried a couple of solutions, but ended up confusing myself more. If it doesn't make sense I can explain it here or in the KA comments.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #20553 by Chessking
Your link doesn't seem to be working, IronyMan. I'm not sure why.

I have been working on EOC 2-D. While playing around with the autopilot approach, I noticed that when coming from a certain direction, (the top right corner, to be exact), a ship would overshoot its target.

The first thing I did to fix this was optimization. I had been manually calculating the stopping distance of the ship using a for loop. During a physics class I took a little while ago, I found a formula that would do the job better. I implemented the formula, and the ship still overshoots. I am as baffled about my problem as you are with yours. ;)

Edit: I solved my problem! Yay!

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel