GUI Design

More
19 years 10 months ago #18124 by Roi Danton
GUI Design was created by Roi Danton
Thread for generally GUI Design:

a) I would recommend to write the explanations not in the bg pic but as GUI pog textes like I did in the Buda5 MC2003.
b) Also I would suggest to use higher resoluted pictures though their size is bigger.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10444 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic GUI Design
I would love to do that but:

The ingame client GUI is streamlined and somewhat different than the normal Game GUI. It is "pushed" in via a task as "icMultiplayScreen" using a state variable that switches between the team selection screen and the final score screen.

It only uses iGui.CreateMenueButton(.,.,.,..) and puts them in a list followed by iGui.CreateMenue(button_list).

In that type of screen you can only set a background image which is stretched and dimmed (or not). Thus the poor image quality. A html scroll and/or background movies won't work there.

"icMultiplayScreen" can however use standard windows and splitters, as you see in the score screen images (in the "Credit points for Shanes Bomb" thread)

If you want to re-work it I'll gladly send you the code. (because GUI coding is my big weakness)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10445 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic GUI Design

Originally posted by MajorTom

In that type of screen you can only set a background image which is stretched and dimmed (or not). Thus the poor image quality. A html scroll and/or background movies won't work there.

Yes, but you also can use background pic sizes of 1024x1024 (512x512 would be 'nuff too, currently you're using 256x256).

If you want to re-work it I'll gladly send you the code. (because GUI coding is my big weakness)

Yes, it would be good if I could have a look on it (but currently I can't promise if it's worth to optimize it or not 'cause you said the ingame client GUI is somehow different .. well I'll see).

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10447 by MajorTom
Ok, I'll send you the code later today or tomorrow after I have uploaded the newest dev version.

Yes, but you also can use background pic sizes of 1024x1024 (512x512 would be 'nuff too, currently you're using 256x256).

The function is coded to use .ftu images and it will only display .iff images that are exactly 256x256.
We either have to use .iff for custom images at 256x256 or somehow convert larger custom images to .ftu. Do you have access to a converter?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10463 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic GUI Design

Originally posted by MajorTom

The function is coded to use .ftu images and it will only display .iff images that are exactly 256x256.

No, if you don't use a completely other flux engine (or the NetGUI is completely different, but I can't believe), also iff background pics could have a size of 1024x1024 ... I used it many many times for Mission Collection, in GUI for Campaign, earlier version of Buda5GUI, ... . :)

Btw, as R2D2 tried 2 1/2 years ago to write a bmp2ftu converter he had no access. But there is no need for a converter regarding the GUI.

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10466 by MajorTom
Cool, I didn't know that!
I've tried other formats before, but didn't make them square.

I'll try that for sure, it will be a lot easier to put text on them.