ingame Movie concept (example movie)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10343 by MajorTom
You're doing great work on those movies! Thanks!

30 sec is a bit short but the movie doesn't have to be exactly 6 mb if it's good.

btw, the one you sent me this afternoon had explosion sounds when I played it with the Bink player but when it's run as a movie in the game there is no sound??
Maybe the game uses a different channel? Or, just mono? Or, a different sampling rate, Or whatever???

I'll see what I can find out on this too.

(I haven't tried the last one you sent me yet)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10358 by MajorTom
Hi Tarcoon, The movie you sent this afternoon is good. [^]

It looked really good, and the frame rate was ok too.

The reason sound doesn't play when it is run in the game is:

The game wants 44100 khz, 16 bit stereo, your movies have 22050 khz, 8 bit stereo. Can you change or set the sound when you convert?

It would be really cool if some text (for example "EOC StarWars Mod") would appear right in the middle of the screen, just as the big explosion occurs and then stay there as the explosion flames desolve. Is an overlay or something like that possible?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10362 by Tarcoon
I can change sound settings. Sorry for the probs, I didn't know that 16bit stereo are necessary for the BIK Movies ingame. Hhm - I deleted the source AVI - guess I'll have to make another one.

Both movies (full screen and 400x400) don't play sound - bad - but now I know the settings and it's just a time consuming job. No problem with that.

You want to have some Text for the full screen version? Should be no problem.

You'll get: full screen exploding station ~6 MB ~30sec with 16 bit stereo sound and text overlay

Do you need a/some 400x400 movie/s too?

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 10 months ago #10379 by Hot4Darmat
This cutscene stuff sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see it.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone captured the Intro movie to Epic: Dogs of War (the "Nolan" or "They left..." intro movie) using FRAPS or some other vid-cap system? As I understood it, you could only view this movie with the EoC game installed (it required the game engine). It would be so nice to be able to show it to others who lack the engine, but who have multimedia software available. It would be nice to have as a kind of 'portfolio' thing...but I wouldn't exactly say its a high priority.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 10 months ago #10385 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Tarcoon

You'll get: full screen exploding station ~6 MB ~30sec with 16 bit stereo sound and text overlay

Do you need a/some 400x400 movie/s too?

Thanks, I got it the text is really cool and just like I imagined it.

Unfortunatly the sound still doesn't work.
I scanned the file with bink and it it shows an undefined difference:
The original game movies say: 44100, 16 bit stereo, sound data: (old format)
your movies say: 44100, 16 bit stereo, sound data:

Does that make sense to you?

To test your movie in game: Put your movie in StarWarsA1/movies and rename it to "intro.bik" Then start the mod, the movie will play right after the PS emblem is shown.

Hot4Darmat
Hot4 I agree, it would be cool to have Nolans adventure as a movie. In fact, if we had it captured we could even consider putting it in the SW mod as a teaser.
(We can let the player select 3 different movies to watch via the <movies> button in the GUI.)

Unfortunatly though, it looks like the DOW mission campaign will never happen?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10395 by Tarcoon

The original game movies say: 44100, 16 bit stereo, sound data: (old format)
your movies say: 44100, 16 bit stereo, sound data:

Does that make sense to you?

It does now. My Bink Video Compressor is the latest version and during the past years they changed some audio codecs to match the modern world. The EoC engine uses an outdated audio codec.
RAD Video Tools made it an easy job to convert back to the old format, you only have to know how.
Add "100" to the audio compressor adjustment - that's all.
(there is a hint in the FAQs)

Sent a fixed version today.

Shall I capture Nolans intro? I may produce an .EXE for viewers without Bink Player, but that would be some MB's.

@Hot4Darmat
Don't expect too much. Have you ever destroyed a station?
It is a static sequence - with a nice "boom" at the end.
My take is only 30 secs and the resolution is not comparable with your ingame settings. You may get an impression by changing the resolution to 640x480 in your ingame graphic options.