Which OS are you using?

More
8 years 5 months ago #19976 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Which OS are you using?
I had never heard about security problems with Windows 10. Now, when I dual-boot a second OS and upgrade to Windows 10, I will try the Destroy-Windows-10-Spying technique. Thanks!

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19980 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Which OS are you using?
It's not a security problem, Chessking, it's a privacy problem. Everyone responds differently to that, and there are folks who don't give a damn about those issues. For me, however, it's a no-go.

More
8 years 5 months ago #19983 by Chessking

It's not a security problem, Chessking, it's a privacy problem.

That's what I meant. I would rather not be subject to things like that if at all possible.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #20000 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Which OS are you using?
All of the data-gathering privacy-threatening stuff you guys are talking about? I asked my brother about it (he's a tech wiz) and he says that Microsoft took it all out. It was only in the Technical Preview, however, they never told people when they removed it.
The last fifty times in a row that I questioned his knowledge about all things electronic, I ended up looking pretty stupid. As far as I can tell, he's not joking.
Still, if someone can find a counter-example, I'd love to rub it in his face. :whistle:

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 5 months ago #20001 by Chessking
I certainly hope he's right.

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago #20002 by schmatzler
Replied by schmatzler on topic Which OS are you using?

IronDuke wrote: I asked my brother about it (he's a tech wiz) and he says that Microsoft took it all out.

That is absolutely not true. Microsoft is still doing a lot of stuff, like tracking your location by default or sending your contacts all to the cloud if you want to use Cortana.

One of the most criticized features is WiFi Sense, which shares your Wi-Fi password with all of your contacts (thus, uploading it to the cloud - very secure).

The default settings send a lot of your data to Cortana. I can understand why, but I don't want Cortana to know what I'm searching for or who the people I know are.

Even if you turn off all the privacy related settings you can find, there are still connections to various domains from Microsoft being made. Do you really know what they're transferring there?

If they "took it all out" there would be no network traffic after turning all of the features off.

Space. The final frontier.