Which OS are you using?

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19387 by schmatzler
I'm interested! :-)

Which OS are you using most of the time? Can you play I-War on it without problems?

I myself am using Slackware64 - I grew tired of having constant problems with Windows a long while back and made the transition to a more friendly system (at least for me).

The I-War series works like a charme on it with wine .

I do have Windows 7 for second boot in case of an emergency (or a game that won't work) and I like it.

Is anyone playing I-War on a Mac here? :lol:

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19391 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Which OS are you using?
Windows 7. All that's needed to get I-War2 working on it is to set the .exe file to run in compatibility mode for windows XP SP3.
I always loved the eye candy in 7, so I was a little grouched when 8 looked like a pile of tiles. Also, my brothers have a lot of problems with older games on 8, and those are the ones I play most, so I avoid it.
But if they could get all Windows programs to run on Linux, I'd probably switch. (It's free.) :lol:

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19398 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Which OS are you using?
Windows 7 as well. I can run all games, although it may take some fiddling especially with older games. I think that Win 7 is the single best OS Microsoft has ever made, but if I ever need to change my OS, I won't go for another Windows version (that would be Windows 10, which is not really a stand-alone OS but an OS-as-a-service, which is an absolute no-go for me).

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19411 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Which OS are you using?
I have played Independence War 2 on an XP and on my Windows 8 laptop. On my Windows 8, I run it in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3. The only problems I have is with some versions of Torn Stars, and with one of the files for Buda 5 X-mas pack.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #19962 by schmatzler
Replied by schmatzler on topic Which OS are you using?
I've switched to Windows 10 now and it really has two sides.

It seems they listened a lot to their users - the start menu is back, Metro apps can be handled better with resizing and many more little changes. They also took some concepts from Linux (like virtual desktops, although it's a little half-assed). So far, enjoyable, for free and fancy.

The other side of the coin is that Windows is sending a lot of stuff to Microsoft, even when it's explicitely disabled in all of the settings you have to search for. Seems like they're going their way to make money with users' data now.

That can be blocked with a nice tool, though:

github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying

Also, the automatic driver installation can be a real pain if a failing driver will be installed. I have a Notebook with an old Geforce 8600. Windows driver failed and was installed every five minutes until I killed Windows Update for good. Shoving updates down our throat, will they ever learn that it's not the right way?

Space. The final frontier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chessking

More
8 years 5 months ago #19963 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Which OS are you using?
I predict that there will be an arm's race between Micro$oft and spykiller developers. Not sure who'll win. And since I value my privacy too much, I won't touch Win10. That being said, as soon as I have the time, I'll start looking for a cheap copy of Win8.1. It'll be supported for quite some time and is the last "classic" OS from MS. Then again, maybe it's time I start looking hard at Linux and its myriad of distributions... ^^