Favorite/Worst SciFi series or movies

More
9 years 2 months ago #19306 by 7upMan
Nah, don't care for Stargate at all, none of the various shows. Too cheesy?

The same goes for Star Wars. Everyone is crazy about it, but while I have seen all the six movies, I just don't get it. It's like a child's story, and I always wondered how grown-ups could get into it.

The same goes for Star Trek. I did enjoy the two new JJ Abrams ST movies immensely, though. They were the exact opposite of the last ST movies with the TNG crew, directed by Frakes. The Borg Queen, anyone? God that was so bad...

I just hope that new upcoming TV show The Expanse will be any good. The trailer on YouTube looks promising though not necessarily close to the books. But that doesn't need to be a bad thing, as seen in Game of Thrones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19309 by schmatzler

The Ori were poorly executed, in my opinion.

I absolutely loved the Ori. Fanatic conquerors driven by their religion and hatred for everything that stood against it - that is material for badass villains.

I also loved the shots when they were just standing in front of the Stargate reading their bible while destroying the whole planet - beautiful! I thought their appearance was way too short - I mean, Apophis was around way longer than the Ori (and no offense, but I always thought he looked a little bit cliche-homosexual).

The same goes for Star Wars. Everyone is crazy about it, but while I have seen all the six movies, I just don't get it. It's like a child's story, and I always wondered how grown-ups could get into it.

I'm not alone! Someone finally understands me! :woohoo:
For me, Jar Jar Binks really killed it. Some utterly bad CGI thing CAN ruin a whole movie.

Does anybody here know "Seven Days"? It just came into my mind. It's a TV show about time travel, but it's comedic and messes with all the Science Fiction shows that were out at that time.

At one time, the protagonist steps out of his time capsule in a park and there is a guy asking him were he came from. His response: "Don't worry, we're doing a low-budget science fiction series". I never laughed so hard.

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19314 by Midgardsormr

schmatzler wrote:

The Ori were poorly executed, in my opinion.

I absolutely loved the Ori. Fanatic conquerors driven by their religion and hatred for everything that stood against it - that is material for badass villains.

I agree, which is why I was disappointed in the hokey-cheesy way they were done. I do agree with you about Apophis, though. He definitely stuck around way too long. Baal was the best villain in Stargate, and there was regrettably too little of him.

I have seen all the six movies,

I'm not alone! Someone finally understands me! :woohoo:
For me, Jar Jar Binks really killed it. Some utterly bad CGI thing CAN ruin a whole movie.

See, there's your problem. There are only three Star Wars movies. Those other three are just fan films.

Oh, and I don't know how someone could not like Tron: Legacy. It's the most epic music video I've ever seen. They really shortchanged Boxleitner, though, considering his character's name was the title.

Does anybody here know "Seven Days"? It just came into my mind. It's a TV show about time travel, but it's comedic and messes with all the Science Fiction shows that were out at that time.

Never heard of that one. I'll look for it.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19316 by Chessking

See, there's your problem. There are only three Star Wars movies. Those other three are just fan films.

A New Hope was episode four in the series even before it was first released, but it was originally called just "Star Wars" to keep from confusing audiences. Although episodes 1, 2, and 3 may not have been as good as the original trilogy, I don't think they could be called fan films.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/faq

However, I think that the new trilogy (Episodes 7, 8, and 9 [still under construction]) and the Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon series don't belong with the first six episodes, as they change some of the underlying information behind the Star Wars universe. For example: now there are story lines where a machine or process gives an individual the power of the Force. Originally, all Jedi were born with the Force.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 2 months ago #19317 by Midgardsormr
Check your humor detector. ;-) Seriously, though, those of us who love Star Wars as adults do so almost without fail because we remember ANH, ESB and RotJ in their original, unadulterated (sans CGI) form. The so-called "Special Edition" mostly weakened the films, and the further additions in the Blu-Ray versions watered them down further. Then came the prequel trilogy, and we just heaved a big sigh of disappointment.

That's not to say that there aren't things to like about the Special Editions and the prequel trilogy. "Duel of the Fates" alone does an awful lot to redeem them. But on the whole, I find that treating them as Lucas' fan films for his own universe makes me feel better about them.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19322 by 7upMan

Midgardsormr wrote: Check your humor detector. ;-) Seriously, though, those of us who love Star Wars as adults do so almost without fail because we remember ANH, ESB and RotJ in their original, unadulterated (sans CGI) form.

You know, I always wondered why a company like ILM that was/is known for absolutely ground-breaking and stunning CGI work, did deliver such a sub-par job. I mean even at that time, the CGI effects were everything but convincing. How could they fail so badly?

That's not to say that there aren't things to like about the Special Editions and the prequel trilogy. "Duel of the Fates" alone does an awful lot to redeem them.

What exactly do you mean? In the Wikipedia, I only find this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_of_the_Fates . Do you really mean the music theme?