Well... Just passing by.

More
17 years 4 weeks ago #18983 by Andr-Sar
Just want to greet all the admirers of the wonderful universe's occurrence known as computer game series "Independence War" and, of course, ask some concerned questions. But a couple of usual inevitable pathos words first. :)

I was fascinated with every aspect of IW2, how perfectly they were composed. It is the game which represents all best things of those times in history of the computer and video games, when there were people doing art above all, and money were secondary. Every man could find something personal to be carried away by. And all could feel true inspiration when were getting in touch with such masterpieces. It's quite sad to observe, after all, the fate of companies like Particle Systems as it always sad when the people which weren't sparing themselves to create something interesting and beautiful suddenly have to disappear. [:(]

I was born in Atyrau city that in Kazakhstan and lived there until I moved to Russia in 2005. Many of you even have no idea where is it. So I'm lucky, for sure... :D

Now back to questions.

1. Source code of the FLUX engine. Is there any progress in obtaining it or it was buried forever in depth of marketing mess? If I (as a legal entity) want to buy a license for development of my own commercial product where should I start? Such a shame to lose this powerful and flexible platform.

2. Christopher Mann was composing music score for the game. One of the best game scores I've heard so far. Is there any chance to find some information about this low-profile musician with the most frequent name in the world? He made my sweet days.

3. I know that Stephen Robertson visits this forum sometimes and want to leave my best regards. I'm wondering if he was taking a part in developing of LDS engines. :D Anyway, who was responsible for literary filling of the game and original conception?

Sorry for possible spelling or grammatical mistakes. Me not english speaken fully yet.

Good luck to everyone and have a nice lifetime!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #16461 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Well... Just passing by.
Welcome to the board Andre-Sar. To answer some of your questions:

1. The source code - if I understand correctly - is owned by Atari, who bought Particle Systems and have copyright to the I-War game. It's probably sitting in a vault somewhere never to be seen again.

2. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mann

3. Best answered by Stephen.

4. Your english is 100% better than my russian.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #16462 by Andr-Sar
Replied by Andr-Sar on topic Well... Just passing by.
Thank you, SoupDragon.

Chris_is_da_Mann. :D How did it happened in the world that he was privy to score for I-War series? They were all crazy in Particle Systems. :)

In case of FLUX source code. It was investigated that Atari doesn't know much about IWar. For them it is just a brand name, no more. They have no source codes or other IP stuff from PS. So I have no idea where it might be now to start looking.