Space Combat Board Game

More
19 years 5 months ago #18284 by Hot4Darmat
I know this sort of thing isn't for everyone, but the current trend in computer game publishing suggests that afficionados of realistic space combat may have to get creative when looking for a fix. I still fire up EoC from time to time to raid L-points, or just look at all the prettiness, but I also enjoy looking into other ways of simulating space travel and combat.

I recently dusted off my Star Cruiser 2300 game stuff, and some other ancient board games simulating space combat just for fun, to see if they stood up to the test of time. Maybe it was the nostalgia talking, but I found the materials for these games incredibly engaging. I didn't have the time to actually play, I just looked through the books again, but it got me thinking and looking around for anything new. I found this:

www.adastragames.com/products/adastra/av.html

Has anyone else seen/heard of this? Tried it? There appears to be an online component for this turn-based game that looks interesting. Has anyone tried this?

--
Hot4Darmat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11881 by SoupDragon
Replied by SoupDragon on topic Space Combat Board Game
Haven't seen this before but if Jerry Pournelle thinks it's good, it has to be worth the effort.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11889 by GrandpaTrout
This does look quite cool. I am tempted to purchase just to see how they handle the math. Letting people setup games on line is pretty neat. Let us know if you purchase a copy!

SC 2300 was really good. It would have made an excellent computer game. I loved the detonation laser missile idea. The damage control parties. The way ships could catch fire and "burn out" systems from the inside.

The aliens in the T2300 were also well done. Better than the first Traveller (IMHO). Very unique. No so much "humans in dog costumes" kinds of aliens. I thought the sentient trees that slept through the winters were really cool.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 5 months ago #11896 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Space Combat Board Game
The more I explore that site and read the materials, the more tempted I am to shell out for the AV game. I think I'll requisition a copy as a gift for the coming holiday season...I'll let you know what happens. To be blunt, I'm much more likely to buy a copy if I know someone else who is going to do the same, so it will actually get played rather than do what 2300 did for the most part. As cool as the SC and T2300 games are, its a real challenge to find people to play with. My SC2300 is a game that's been read through and practiced far more than actually played by me (only got one actual game going with one other person who was kind of luke warm to it).

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 5 months ago #11922 by GrandpaTrout
I like the look of the game as well. I will try to order one for arrival near Christmas. We can play a few rounds in January while waiting for Nexus to reach North America.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 3 months ago #12088 by GrandpaTrout
My copy is on order. Looking forward to getting turned to space dust by the Canadian team!

-Gtrout