Beanstalk (space elevator) model

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12908 by Shane
Thanks... Downloading it now. :D

I've got a total of three habitat-type stations in the works. One is an expanded version of the Poor Settlement model; instead of mounting a single hab module it mounts four. This one is nearly finished; I have only to add copies of the lights and set the files up correctly to test.

The second is a larger array of hab modules decending from a rectangular framework of gantries. Dockports and other hardware on 'top'. I call it the Shantytown model.

And, finally, (down the road) I have to build a 'put-together-from-what-they-could-find' station model. Which will feature mega-cargo pods and old reactor cores in the model (and some new textures which is why I'm after the material shaders).

Will update as I get them finished. :)

[edit] A pic of the Refugee station.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12912 by cambragol
Looks very cool. Bigger and better stations is what we need. I agree the existing station are quite limited in their diversity. I tried building big stations by grouping a number of stations together via the goeg tools. by seperating them by one degree, i was able to get them to line up almost side by side. Then I could shift some stations up or down a little bit. The result was a fairly cool looking station 'cluster'. It seemed a tad bit taxing on the framerate though, and selecting station via the nav controls was a bit awkward.

Looking forward to seeing these stations!

More
18 years 11 months ago #13056 by cambragol
Well Shane, I whipped together a quick version of a Beanstalk station. It is an asteroid within which the beanstalk is anchored. Various station components are also attached, including two working podspewers, one to handle loading, one to handle unloading. The station as seen here is complete and fully functional, including lod switchs and models, as well as a complete collision hull. I will package it up and send it to you if you want it.

Here are a couple of shots of it. In once you can even see a second beanstalk. There are 3 in orbit around Emerald.

More
18 years 11 months ago #13059 by Shane
Very nice Cambragol. Looks great!

I very much appreciate the offer, but have found that I will not be needing it. I've decided to give up modding EoC.

I've worked on Asylum for some time now and have come to the conclusion that the project would be best served by pulling the storyline out of the I-War universe and building it as a stand-alone PC game. To this end I've removed myself from the Freehauler project and am focusing completely upon Asylum's development.

It's hard to leave I-War. But so few people now own EoC discs it becomes difficult to work on a very large project like Asylum when so few will experience it. (I am much farther behind in production with Asylum than you guys are with Epic. And anyway... it looks like Epic has this area well taken care of.)

But I'll still be stopping in from time to time and eagerly awaiting Epic's completion.

Cheers,

Shane

More
18 years 11 months ago #13061 by GrandpaTrout
I am sorry to hear your not working on Freehauler. That must have been a hard decision.

So will Asylum run as a movie? Or are you thinking of using another engine as the base? Your right about EoC getting near the end of its life. It looks like some of the newer graphics cards may have trouble running the game. And that will be the death of it.

More
18 years 11 months ago #13062 by cambragol
No more EOC and no more Freehauler, all in one fell swoop?! Well, I must say you will be a great loss to both. Though as long as you are still paying us a visit now and then, all is well. I am becoming more and more intrigued by this 'Asylum'. It must be fairly compelling to draw you away from the Freehauler project. Any chance I/we could get more info on just what it is all about? If you are planning to develop it from the ground up, you must be quite serious about it.