Squardon colors for rebel fighters

More
19 years 3 months ago #18350 by Second Chance
I was looking at our X-Wings recently and I thought, "Hey, it would only take a minute (literally) to change the squadron colors on each rebel fighter, like the lesser seen ships in the movies." MajorTom, would this be of any value to us? Basically, I'm saying that; if you want to implement some kind of squadron selection feature into the game, I can easily accomodate you.

Anyway, just an idea I had. If it's something you want, just say the word.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12310 by MajorTom
Thats a cool idea, maybe we could incorporate something like that.
Could we do that via a script? (sort of like the wings opening?)

Otherwise, it would increase the size of the mod substantially: Every player will have to have all the possible color versions "on file" and we would need an ini file for each color.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 3 months ago #12311 by Second Chance
A script, yes. Although I would have thought that you would make the selection in the team/ship selection screen, not in-game. Logical, right?

The mod file size would definitely increase greatly. I thought of a way to include just the new PSOs, or even just the new textures, unfortunately pog can't manipulate the models at that level. So that means new PSOs and textures, and new lightwave scene files and INIs, for each affected ship. Each in their own separate folder.

OH! OH! WAIT!!! Here's an idea: How about we hold off and make this the first expansion pack!

A large, but separate, download would go over much better, don't you think? And just the ships by themselves wouldn't even be that big of a download. It would actually be a pretty reasonable download.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 3 months ago #12372 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

A script, yes. Although I would have thought that you would make the selection in the team/ship selection screen, not in-game. Logical, right?

Yes of course but the question is how do we add them to the ship selection GUI? As a selection button for team colors or as a whole bunch of seperate ships each with the seperate colors displayed as the ship spinny is shown?
Either way, we'll need to change the script for the ship selection GUI. The script I meant in the post above was however meant more on the lines of actually switching colors with a script too (See below).

The mod file size would definitely increase greatly. I thought of a way to include just the new PSOs, or even just the new textures, unfortunately pog can't manipulate the models at that level. So that means new PSOs and textures, and new lightwave scene files and INIs, for each affected ship. Each in their own separate folder.

Couldn't we add a color or markings as an avatar channel (something like the way we open/close s-foils)? We could could use a default avatar for standard colors and then change it (by adding a avatar channel per pog) if the player chooses a different color.

OH! OH! WAIT!!! Here's an idea: How about we hold off and make this the first expansion pack!

A large, but separate, download would go over much better, don't you think? And just the ships by themselves wouldn't even be that big of a download. It would actually be a pretty reasonable download.

Yes, we should definately make this a separate DL and as an expansion at a later date, otherwise we'll hold up the beta release.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12378 by Second Chance
Well, you can code the selection method however you fancy. Here's the bottom line concerning how the choices would affect the game.

A. The choice is coded simply, and just replaces the current X-Wing model (for example in the X-Wing folder with one with the new colors. But this also means that all X-Wings globally will now be that color scheme.

B. All the new color-altered ships could be included in the selection screen seperately and grouped using clever wording (to make them look like all the same ship, just with different markings. But each ship would, in fact, be a completely different model in their own folder.

Couldn't we add a color or markings as an avatar channel (something like the way we open/close s-foils? We could could use a default avatar for standard colors and then change it (by adding a avatar channel per pog if the player chooses a different color.

I'm afraid not, as the colors are a function of the textures themselves and not the model. Unless you want to have the ship use no model, and all the body parts added as subsims. (I know I wouldn't.

This may not actually be the best idea in the world. I just wanted to say that it is possible. But, yes; it would mean adding quite a bit of file size just to change squad colors.

If only there were a way to tell the model to change textures during play, that would be awsome. But there's nothing like that kind of functionality in Pog.

In the end, I think this is something that will need to be decided by the people who use the mod. They will have to decide if different squadron colors are cool and important enough to warrant the extra download and coding work. If so, great. It would be cake (literally to fix up the new textures (no model work required for that. If not, then that's fine too. It's just another thing we won't have to do.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod

More
19 years 1 month ago #12544 by MajorTom
Maybe we could do it with a method like deck planking on the Verona Model.
(we put a null on the ship and added a piece of textured deck planking that was actually a modified class icTurret.)

i.e.: You could have the standard ships with the trimming only and without colors. Add a null to mount the icTurret type Object and then create the object which could be textured with squad specific colors.

Oh! darn, wait: that won't work when the S-Foils deploy will it?