The Tie Cockpit - Almost Finished!

More
19 years 5 months ago #18291 by Second Chance
Inamo (oops, I mean theJester) has sent me a picture of the nearly complete Tie Cockpit mesh. He also apologizes for the delay. But I think you will all agree, it's worth the wait. As I understand it, he's going to be "baking" all those amazing details into the textures, similar to what PS originally did with the ships. Just remember; when you're flying in combat, try to actually look outside the cockpit as well.

Obviously the in-game view will be a little closer to the window, but this way you can see the whole thing in one picture.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11907 by thejester
Uh, hi all :)
I'm not sure what to say really... I made this a bit speedily, all of about 4 hours effort...
Other than organizing the pieces more, the paneling on the front part (behind the pipes) is really shoody... and the display pieces on the sides are slapped on there, I'm more or less happy with it.
I looked at some general reference, TIE Fighter screenies (Best game ever) and the movies but mostly it is artistic license.
Let me know what you think needs rearranging or outright changing...

One proviso, I really like being set back this far from the window. I like the idea of having IWARs diyamic lighting (am I wrong, it looks dynamic...) really pull the cockpit out in the light or keep it almost black during most of the flight time.
However I know this isn't everyones cup of tea, let me know what you think on that.

Yea, rock on, rock out people.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11908 by Shane
It's very pretty. Good modeling.

How many polys? Do you think this one will cause a performance hit? (The EoC cockpit is pretty sparse... the buttons and gadgets are all textures.)

Edit: Nevermind. Just re-read SC's post. I was going to suggest baking the textures myself. ;)

More
19 years 5 months ago #11910 by Roi Danton
Nice work!
So like I understood SC the "boxes" under the window are just textures. So if the dynamic light changes the shadows will stay like they are. That wouldn't be the best solution IF you see the "boxes" on the closer view, too.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 5 months ago #11911 by Second Chance
I'm sure you won't notice that while you're busy flying Roi. Objects don't cast shadows in EoC anyway, there are just lit and unlit surfaces. Besides, those shadows could easily be caused by static interior lighting. Star Wars ships always seem to have plenty of light in the cockpits.

@ jester: Sorry man, the Tie pilots just don't sit that far back. Besides, I like the idea of having some really nice, unrevealed cockpit areas to see during turns. But, ultimately, it'll be MajorTom who decides this. I have a feeling he won't go for it because it takes away a lot of your view of outside; which is pretty important. This is the kind of distance from the front window I expect to see in the Millennium Falcon cockpit. But that has side windows, so it's perfectly fine.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 5 months ago #11913 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

@ jester: Sorry man, the Tie pilots just don't sit that far back. Besides, I like the idea of having some really nice, unrevealed cockpit areas to see during turns. But, ultimately, it'll be MajorTom who decides this. I have a feeling he won't go for it because it takes away a lot of your view of outside; which is pretty important. This is the kind of distance from the front window I expect to see in the Millennium Falcon cockpit. But that has side windows, so it's perfectly fine.

I think it looks really cool but I agree with SC. We'll have to try it out to see about the preformance hit.
That does make me think of a new possibility though. Maybe we can use different versions of the cockpit and a key bind to give the pilot alternative views. A more "layed back" view and a nose on the windshield view. It should be do-able: we could the scaling and positioning of the same model and create 2 versions of the .lws to try out and provide different views.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site