What's our current null situation?

More
19 years 5 months ago #18274 by Second Chance
I'm putting together a list of model related chores that need to be wrapped up to get the beta out. How are we with the nulls of each ship. If anything needs to be changed\added\removed this would be a good place to tell me. Are the weapon locations satisfactory? How's the docking been? Do we need more mount points? Or different mount points? MajorTom, what about the star destroyer? Does it have all the nulls it needs? I know you've done some repositioning or realigning of nulls with notepad, but if you'll tell me what you'd like I can do it much more easily and accurately.

Also; if it won't be a problem, I'd like to redo the avatar animation for the X and B-Wings. The default wing position should be open, so the ships can be used as straight-up replacements for the normal game. Otherwise, without their animation code, they'll always fly around with their wings closed. And that would look silly. Especially the B-Wing.

And one final thing: Are the ships just too much of a problem at their current size? I hate to use the wrong scale, but I understand that EoC weapons just weren't designed to spend a lot of time shooting at such small targets. Not to mention being just plain hard to see. If everyone thinks they should be larger, I'll scale them up by whatever percentage is deemed necessary.

So please, put any and all model related issues here so I can address them as efficiently as I can. I'm also going to email Inamo tommorrow and find out how the cockpits are coming along.

Yikes! I think Roi has inspired me to work harder on the project. ;)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11828 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by Second Chance

Yikes! I think Roi has inspired me to work harder on the project. ;)

Nice. ;)

If I never would have made the experience how great flying in I-War 2 is (besides the small ships) and what problems there could be due to bigger ships I would definitely say that the ships are too small by all means.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 5 months ago #11829 by MajorTom
The current chores are: finish the Mon Calamari cruiser, get the cockpits done and finish the textures. All the other stuff is Post Beta IMO.

Originally posted by Second Chance

Also; if it won't be a problem, I'd like to redo the avatar animation for the X and B-Wings. The default wing position should be open, so the ships can be used as straight-up replacements for the normal game. Otherwise, without their animation code, they'll always fly around with their wings closed. And that would look silly. Especially the B-Wing.

It would be a problem. Originally, we agreed to have the ships enter the game with the wings closed and all 8 of the MP scripts are set up to accomodate the code for that, including the code for creating the AI piloted bot ships. It would take at least 2 full days (16-20 hrs) to re-coding and test that, with a large margin for some remaining errors we may overlook.

Anyhow, If you have them as animated ships in the SP game you'll still need the code to close and re-open the Sfoils.
It would be a lot easier (and practically the only solution) to provide you with a little script as part of a SP mod package that includes a keybind to actuate the wings. That script would/could open the wings on launch from base and thus reverse the inital position. You wouldn't have to change anything in the avatar.

If you want ships without any animation at all, can't you just make a special separate SP version?

And one final thing: Are the ships just too much of a problem at their current size? .....

The issue is: if you scale up the avatar, you also have to scale up the collision hull. That in turn, changes the mass of the ship and has an enormous effect on the flight charachteristics by increasing inertia immensly. To get a star warsy flight feeling you have to increase lateral speeds un-proportionally which consequently also has an extreme effect on the weapons hit rates. i.e. It is a complicated system of balances with multiple trade-offs in each direction.

I've already spent months tweaking and testing. We should wait for the beta and use the feedback on this issue before we do anything. I can't/won't start over from scratch again without a good reason. If it becomes a Beta request issue I have hopes that others would be involved in testing and tweaking too, so I don't have to do it all by myself, all over again.

Besides that, if you change the size you are back at square 1 on the issue with the LOD0 to LOD1 transition that we just discussed in the open 3D-modding forum.!

On Nulls:
For the "Energy Bombs", we may want to rotate a null on the Tie Bomber and the B-Wing at an angle pointing down. That would however have to be done simultanously with weapon testing so it's probably best to do it with notepad. Any volunteers?

The docking problem is not primarily a null issue. I think I have a fix for it but we'll need to do some extensive online testing.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site